NU Netball Club pledge to walk, run and cycle 2950km to raise money for charity

You can donate via JustGiving

Newcastle Uni Netball Club are using their time in lockdown to raise some money for charity whilst keeping fit at the same time.

The girls obviously can’t play matches or train together at the moment so are instead pledging to run, walk or cycle 2950km in the next three weeks.

The target distance represents the 295 Newcastle Uni medical students who graduated early so they can go out and work on the frontline.

All the money raised will go to the national emergency trust who disperse their funds nationally, providing support specific to each region.

We spoke to some of the girls about their cause. Club President, Katy Matthews told us: “We are so proud and inspired by our 295 peers who have graduated early to join the fight against the virus.

“We wanted to do something to help in any way we could, whilst maintaining our social distance and wellbeing during this time, so NUNC collectively have decided to run 10k for each one of our amazing graduates!

“We are raising money for the national emergencies trust who are an incredible charity working across the UK to help anyone in need in these unprecedented times.”

Treasure Amy Bower told us that she wants to help build a positive atmosphere during this hard time. She said: “All the NUNC girls have been so eager to get involved and play their part. Within the first 24 hours we reached our initial fundraising goal of £250, which is incredible, and we can only hope this amount continues to rise.

“Amidst this extreme situation there has been some wonderful community spirit which not only helps supports our chosen charity, but helps to keep morale high.”

You can support their efforts by donating via their JustGiving page.