These are the Newcastle boys shaving their heads in lockdown

What else is there to do?

The year is 2020, the country is in lockdown and people are running out of things to do. Lads are realising they won’t be visiting a barber for way longer than is acceptable and are coming round to the idea that having no hair is going to make their life in isolation that little bit easier.

Call it a trend, a moment of madness or a mark of solidarity with the NHS, but it’s happening. The skinhead pandemic is here and we are kind of loving it.

We’ve rounded up some of the best shaved heads of Newcastle students.

Sam Rossi, 3rd Year, Maths and Finance

Why did you decide to shave? “To show support for NHS workers”

What are you missing most about Newcastle? “Blanc”

Rune Dickinson, 3rd Year, Graphics

Why did you decide to shave? “Been contemplating it for ages and I thought it would make me laugh, well seeing my families reaction did”

What are you missing most about Newcastle? “Blanc and Amica”

Joe Malik, 3rd Year, International Relations and Politics

Why did you decide to shave? “Low maintenance”

What are you missing most about Newcastle? “Going to the pub and working at 97”

Sam Green, 3rd Year, Economics

Why did you decide to shave? “My girlfriend said I was allowed”

What are you missing most about Newcastle? “Face to face teaching”

Charlie Cadley, 2nd Year, History

Why did you decide to shave? “My mates told me to”

What are you missing most about Newcastle? “Blanc, rugby and Archie Fitzgerald”

Kewin Sony, 2nd year medic

Why did you decide to shave? “Wanted to see how many dents I had in my head”

What are you missing most about Newcastle? “The boys”

Henry Wright, 3rd Year, Urban Planning

Why did you decide to shave? “I was nominated by my friend Luke Adams who has also shaved his head but unfortunately doesn’t look as good”

What are you missing most about Newcastle? “Osborne Road and a few cold ones in the sun”

The Luke Adams he is speaking about…

Luke Adams, 3rd Year, Economics

Why did you decide to shave? “Never shaved before and if there was a time to do it, it’s deffo now”

What are you missing most about Newcastle? “Osborne Road in the sunshine and rugby”

Will Woodhall, 1st Year, Real Estate

Why did you decide to shave? “I’ve been running recently and wanted some better aerodynamics to shave a few seconds off my time”

What are you missing most about Newcastle? “Miss seeing my mates daily”

Harry Strudwick, 2nd Year, Biomed

Why did you decide to shave? “After all the staff went into isolation my father allocated my siblings and I different roles around the farm. I’m now Head Gardener of the Longham Estate so I thought I needed to get a haircut to suit the new role.

What do you miss most about Newcastle? “I miss a lot of things about Newcastle. I miss the morning strolls to Waitrose with my housemates; our thermoses and daddy’s plastic in hand. I miss my hot tubs. I miss my friends. But most of all, I miss Bar Blanc; it has and forever will have a special place in my heart.”

Johnathan Ryan, 3rd Year, Economics

Why did you decide to shave? “To emulate my idol”

What are you missing most about Newcastle? “The social”

Ruben Franco, 3rd Year, Business and Marketing

Why did you decide to shave? “Thought it would make me faster and more aerodynamic”

What are you missing most about Newcastle? “Knocking back trebs in Powerhouse, listening to ABBA”

Matt Entwistle, 3rd Year, English Lit and History

Why did you decide to shave? “Always been curious about the shape of my head and if there’s any time to find out it’s now”

What do you miss most about Newcastle? “Mr V”

Harry Wilkinson-Roberts, History

Why did you decide to shave? “If it looks awful at least I’m not going out for two months”

What are you missing most about Newcastle? “Pints costing £2, Honourable Armstrong Rangers and zero responsibility”

Andy Marshall, 3rd Year, Geography

Why did you decide to shave? “We were bored”

What are you missing most about Newcastle? “We’re still here, why would you go home to quarantine when you can do it with your mates”

Aidan Rix, 2nd Year, History

Why did you shave? “It was a dare”

What are you missing most about Newcastle? “Quarantining in Jesmond with my mates”

Jake Bell, 1st Year, Criminology and Forensic Science

Why did you decide to shave? “Realised I wouldn’t get a haircut for three weeks so got my girlfriend to cut it. Turns out she wasn’t that great so it all had to go”

What are you missing most about Newcastle? “Going to uni and seeing my mates there”

More stories recommended by this writer:

Boys are shaving their heads in quarantine and we asked them what they were thinking

We asked the students in quarantine at uni why they chose a student house over home