Northumbria SU have cancelled their St Patrick’s Day event due to Coronavirus

Blanc it is then

Northumbria Student’s Union have announced that they are cancelling their St Paddy’s Day celebrations due to Coronavirus. 

They published a statement advising students of the decision. It read: “The safety of our staff and students is the number one priority for the University and Students’ Union.

“We are sorry to inform you that due to growing concerns around Coronavirus Covid-19 we have jointly decided to cancel next week’s St Patrick’s Day celebration event planned at the Students’ Union on Tuesday 17 March.

“This decision has not been taken lightly, however is consistent with the approach of many organisations to limit large gatherings to reduce the risk of spreading the virus. Please note that the Students’ Union building will still be open on Tuesday 17th providing normal services.

“We know that for many of you this will be disappointing, and we hope that if you continue to celebrate elsewhere that you do so safely and responsibly.”

The event was due to take place during the day and is often very popular with Northumbria and Newcastle Uni students alike. 

Prepare yourselves for a busy day on Osborne Road instead!

We have contacted Northumbria University for a statement.