Image may contain: Man, Selfie, Hair, Portrait, Photography, Photo, Apparel, Clothing, Head, Smile, Human, Person, Face

Movember Team Focus: Northumbria Men’s Cricket

‘We want to break the stigma that it’s okay not to be okay’

Is it just me or does it feel like each month has some social significance? Most of these may be beneficial and some are merely reflective of the role of meme culture in within student groups (and we'll put no-nut November to bed at that).

With February for example becoming known for Breast Cancer Awareness and LGBTQ+ History month, November has become synonymous with the Movember campaign.

Movember is the leading charity who describe themselves as, "changing the face of men's health". The campaign aims to raise crucial funds to raise awareness of issues such as Prostate and Testicular Cancer as well as male suicide and mental health.

Commonly practised through efforts to grow a moustache throughout November, many teams and groups take part in a collective effort.

The Newcastle Tab spoke to Northumbria University Men's Cricket team, who have utilised social media to champion their cause this November which allowed them to smash their target and raise £250.

If you want to add a last minute donation, visit their team page here.

Alex Willis, 23, Business with Marketing Management, 1st Team Captain

Image may contain: Photography, Photo, Portrait, Smile, Man, Head, Human, Face, Person

What inspired you individually to take part?

To raise awards for Male mental and prevention of male suicide

How did you find growing a tash?

Could have be worse but the tash itself is slowly turning an array of colours including Ginger and blonde (sunset)

Which famous tash inspires you the most? Any Celebrity Crushes?

Mitchel Johnson Ashes 2010/11. The latter would be Andrew Flintoff.

In three words, describe the best tash?

Fit, flirty and bold

James Lunn, 21, Sports Coaching, Northumbria Men's Cricket Head Coach

Image may contain: Pet, Apparel, Clothing, Canine, Mammal, Animal, People, Human, Person

We all know somebody who has been impacted by mental health, so the importance to raise awareness as a team was key, to create a strong team putting mental health at the heart of our ethos

How did you find growing a tash?

Bloody harder than growing a beard! The constant shaving of the rest of my face is a pain for a forgetful bloke such as myself

Kiosk Keith was the initial inspiration, probably ended up more like Holly Willoughby. Celebrity crush, Mollie Smith. Ay up BNOC.

In three words, describe the best tash?

Definitely not mine

Craig Manchester, 24, Mechanical Engineering

Image may contain: Shelf, Beard, Clothing, Apparel, Plywood, Wood, Face, Accessories, Sunglasses, Accessory, Person, Human

Raise awareness for Prostate Cancer and Men’s Mental Health

How did you find growing a tash?

Itchy and Scratchy

Hulk Hogan and Rita Ora

In three words, describe the best tash?

Uniform, tidy and unique

Dan McGee, 18, Architecture

Image may contain: Selfie, Skin, Photography, Photo, Portrait, Jaw, Head, Person, Face, Human

To raise further awareness of the impact of prostate cancer and mental health in men

How did you find growing a tash?

Patchy

Merv Hughes and Margot Robbie

In three words, describe the best tash?

Clean, groomed and symmetrical

Gavin Paton, 22, Psychology

Image may contain: Photography, Photo, Portrait, Man, Home Decor, Apparel, Clothing, Face, Person, Human

Movember is a really good cause to raise awareness for prostate cancer and mental health. Looking at the other lads who were taking part, I thought it would be good to get involved as well. I may not grow the best tash, but hopefully I can help raise awareness.

How did you find growing a tash?

It’s been alright. It's never really been something for me to worry about, as you can see it's nothing more than glorified stubble really

Merv and Mercedes Hughes. Guilty pleasure, but Michelle Keegan.

In three words, describe the best tash?

Volume, volume, volume (can't relate tbh)

George Spink, 18, Business

Image may contain: Photography, Photo, Portrait, Man, Hair, Head, Person, Face, Human

To raise awareness for prostate cancer and men's mental health and to take part in a great charitable activity

How did you find growing a tash?

An experience to say the least

Charlie Chaplin and Jennifer Aniston

Jonathan Gray, 20, Sport Science and Nutrition

Image may contain: Man, Apparel, Clothing, Head, Smile, Person, Face, Human

I was inspired to take part in Movember, due to the growing issues surrounding men's mental health and how we need to get more people talking about the issues to reduce its stigma

How did you find growing a tash?

After a slow start, once the shape started it was relatively plain sailing from there

My moustache is inspired by fellow ginger moustache barer Lockie Ferguson who is a kiwi Cricketer. If I was able to have any moustache it would be that of Jules from Pulp Fiction. Crush? Sydney Sweeney

In three words, describe the best tash?

Ginger, Prominent, Elegant.

Jonty Barnes, 20, Mechanical Engineering

Image may contain: Hair, Man, Portrait, Photo, Photography, Apparel, Clothing, Person, Face, Human, Head

Just being part of something which benefits people's lives alongside with being able to do it with a top group of lads

How did you find growing a tash?

Relatively easy since I don't really grow facial hair so have just let it do it's thing

Lockie Ferguson, makes a tash look good and a great Cricket player. Crush? Margot Robbie

In three words, describe the best tash?

Thick, eccentric, unique

Kieran Trevaskis, 23, Business with Marketing Management

Image may contain: Man, Person, Human, Face

I wanted to do something to support the rising problem that is male suicide. Knowing people close to me have struggled with mental health problems it’s really important we don’t let them suffer in silence.

How did you find growing a tash?

Honestly, awful. I kept finding myself playing with it in bad circumstances. Plus my partner absolutely hated it so she's glad to see it gone

Merv Hughes and Gal Gadot

In three words, describe the best tash?

Mitchell Johnson 13/14

Will Leyland, 19, Business Management, Social Sec

Image may contain: Smile, Head, Photography, Photo, Portrait, Man, Clothing, Shirt, Apparel, Face, Person, Human

I wanted to take part in Movember as I feel Men’s Mental Health is a massive thing that people don’t feel comfortable talking about. Doing this as a team I feel, creates an atmosphere in which nobody should feel uncomfortable talking about.

How did you find growing a tash?

I’m not going to lie it’s been a struggle but for no other reason than I actually have to try and convince people I am taking part in Movember due to my inability to grow facial hair.

If I could grow a moustache like Freddie Mercury then my life wouldn’t be far from complete.

In three words, describe the best tash?

Ginger, well-groomed, thick