Image may contain: Pants, Vacation, Alleyway, Alley, Female, Path, Car, Vehicle, Automobile, Transportation, Face, Apparel, Clothing, Pedestrian, Human, Person, Town, Building, Road, Urban, City, Street

Newcastle is getting COLD so here’s some things to do in the winter months

Leave the warmth of your flat

With winter fast approaching, and temperatures plummeting, Newcastle is no stranger to temperatures below zero. Although the average Geordie has evolved over time to endure such low temperatures, a student from south of Gateshead cannot survive such climates.

As a student, tiredness is a large part of the university experience. Not wanting to leave your bed and face the elements that lie outside, especially in the blustery winter weather. Prime time for Netflix bingeing and pillow hugging is upon us and consequently the hours spent in your dirty maisonette is likely to increase too.

However, the urban metropolis of Newcastle has plenty of indoor activities for those courageous souls who leave their flats.

Dog and Scone

Situated in an alleyway behind Bierkeller on Bigg Market, Dog and Scone is an unusual experience. After being accustomed to a caramel latte from Costa or Starbucks, nothing can prepare you for the turmoil of this café.

As you sip your warm beverages, various breeds of dogs waddle around your feet dressed in extravagant clothing. A special shout out to ‘Laughing’ the pug, a stand out, who spends most of his life sleeping and running around, which is quite relatable. An hour in the café will set you back £5.20, including a drink and some much needed therapy.

Image may contain: Pet, Pug, Dog, Canine, Animal, Mammal, Person, Human

Two dawgs

Stack

At the end of Northumberland Street lies the compound of the Stack. Stack is comprised of shipping crates converted into upmarket eateries. The sheltered main area boasts plenty of seats surrounded by heaters, live music, and several bars an arm's length away, making for a great combination on a cold November night. The heaters are sent from God!

Every day of the month there is an event taking place, from open mic nights, to DJs taking over centre stage. There is a huge choice of different food spanning the globe, from Lebanese food to a ‘Boujee burger’, making it an impossible task to not satisfy any cravings.

There is also an Ice Bar coming back to the complex, which is worth a visit if you have deep pockets, with elaborately carved ice sculptures and bubble gum or toffee vodka out of ice shot glasses.

Image may contain: Girl, Female, Coat, Fur, Person, Human, Clothing, Apparel

Jesmond Swimming Pool

The pool is a stone's throw away from Osborne Road, and is a perfect opportunity to clear your mind whilst burning off a few extra calories. The pool is open to the public from 7am and 10pm and offers casual visits and discounted rates for students.

If you don’t fancy getting wet, the complex has a sauna and steam room, with a decent sized gym. Prices range from £3.70, to £5.70 for one off visits, depending on what you fancy doing!

Jesmond Pool promotes good health, and a chance to get out of the house even on a grim blustery morning.

Image may contain: Swimming Pool, Pool, Water

Jesmond Pool

Crazy Golf

Mr Mulligan's Crazy golf centre is located next to The Gate, in Newcastle City Centre. There are three space themed courses with nine holes in each course. The courses are popular with first dates, a way to break the ice, and distracting yourself from the inevitable realisation that you are just not compatible. Mr Mulligan's holds student nights every Wednesday from 7pm, with £5 golf (half price fee), 2 for 1 cocktails and discounted pizza.

New to Newcastle this year is 'Ghetto golf,' located in the Byker area. The centre combines UV street art, DJing, cocktails and crazy golf in incredible fashion, providing for a good start to a night out.

Crazy golf is a great chance to channel your inner competitiveness and belittling your mates in sociably acceptable way, oh and it's indoors of course.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3_v8yTpAc3

Tyneside Cinema

Opposite the Stack in the City Centre, the Tyneside Cinema is an independently run cinema based in a Grade II listed building. The refurbished building with original features ensures a divergence from the soulless cinematic screening, back to a more historic and let's face it, better experience.

Despite being independent, the cinema has four screens, a cocktail lounge and restaurant, ensuring big box office hits are screened, alongside less mainstreamed viewing.

Although Netflix and chilling is a phenomena that is unrivalled for various reasons, the Tyneside Cinema does challenge this monopoly with a traditional experience that you cannot get in your scrubby little Jesmond flat.

Newcastle Christmas Market

Following the Christmas lights switch on (7th November) is the Christmas market commencing on the 16th November, lasting until New Year’s Eve. The Market stretches out from Monument into Blackett Street, and Northumberland Street with 70 independent stalls which sell goods spanning from artisan chutneys to mulled wine.

The stalls save you a flight to the continent with various stores from Holland, France, Germany and more, giving you the holiday buzz whilst simultaneously satisfying your taste buds, a definite win-win.

There are several attractions if you don’t fancy eating, from a helter skelter bar, to a Ferris wheel for those big kids. The Christmas Market gives you a great chance to get into the festive spirit, try new foods and have a drink with mates!

https://www.instagram.com/p/v4VY4etSUA/

Ice Skating

Coming to Newcastle this week, is the annual ice skating rink at the Life Science Centre based outside Digi. The rink will be open over the winter months from the 9th November to the 5th January, and prices are a mere £9 for an hour with a student pass.

This may not be up your street if you like to spend an hour cursing and holding on to the side of the rink, but for those show offs who like to skid around at 50mph, you might want to check it out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc2ruqlARZh