Image may contain: Window, Tree, Plant, Apartment Building, High Rise, Urban, Town, City, Building

Newcastle named as the second best uni in the world for recycling and sustainability

IN THE WORLD!!!

In a time of climate change, David Attenborough and bamboo straws, environmental issues are at the forefront of students' minds more than ever before.

Newcastle University is clearly on board with this movement as it has been awarded second place for recycling and sustainability in the uni league tables – in the world! Big stuff.

The rating is based on The Times Higher Education University Impact Ranking which ranks universities across the globe on how dedicated they are to the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.

Image may contain: Word, Menu, Text

Newcastle University has a dedicated sustainability team on-campus who are responsible for helping to reduce energy use from non-renewable sources and environmentally-damaging emissions, and promoting eco-friendly travel alternatives, such as cycling, walking or taking the bus.

Newcastle University also encourages its students to get involved in volunteering initiatives such as litter picking in Jesmond.

Image may contain: Car Wheel, Tarmac, Asphalt, Wheel, Alloy Wheel, Tire, Spoke, Machine, Transportation, Vehicle, Automobile, Car, Clothing, Footwear, Shoe, Apparel, Person, Human

Newcastle University is one out of the 20 UK universities that signed a Power Purchase Agreement which agrees to buy $64 million worth of renewable wind energy.

Image may contain: Tree, Plant, Factory, Dusk, Red Sky, Sunset, Sky, Dawn, Outdoors, Building, Nature

Newcastle University declared a climate emergency earlier this year and outlined the university’s commitment to making change.

The statement explains that they were one of the first unis to officially sign the Government’s Emissions Reduction Pledge and are aiming to divest from fossil fuels within five years and aims to achieve net-zero carbon dioxide emissions by 2040.