Image may contain: Night Life, Night Club, Club, Human, Person, Party

We asked third years what advice they’d give to Freshers and this is what they said

“Wear a condom. Just do it”

We all know that most students don't have a single clue what's going on most of the time.

Whilst this fact definitely remains as you go through your years at uni, third years are privy to some useful life hacks that they have learnt through many mistakes. It never hurts receiving a little guidance from your elders, right?

First years, listen up! This is what some third years had to say when we asked them for their top tips!

Abby, 21, Archaeology at Newcastle

Image may contain: Photography, Portrait, Photo, Smile, Family, Girl, Woman, Teen, Child, Blonde, Kid, Tree, Jeans, Denim, Face, Plant, Vegetation, People, Pants, Female, Clothing, Apparel, Person, Human

"Join a society. I would love to join a sports team now but I have way too much work to do, whereas I had all the time in the world in first year. You're nervous about not knowing anyone, but in hindsight that doesn't matter. No one does."

This is painfully true. Year in year out, a huge thing freshers stress about is not knowing anyone, but aren't we all flying solo in freshers? Yes! So do it.

Adam, 21, Business and Management at Northumbria

Image may contain: Beer, Alcohol, Path, Condo, Housing, Arch, Arched, Drink, Beverage, Bridge, Architecture, Clothing, Apparel, Town, Metropolis, Urban, City, Building, Person, Human

"Try and look into a house for second year early so you don't end up living in a shit hole in Jesmond like I did."

Trust us, you don't want to end up in an eight bedroom house with one bathroom and mould growing in your box room.

This does not mean that you have to go house hunting the minute you find someone you don't hate. However, if it's coming up to February and you still haven't looked, you're in the danger zone. Seriously, don't pull an Adam…

Anon, 20, Maths at Newcastle University

Image may contain: Skin, Blonde, Girl, Kid, Woman, Teen, Child, Sand, Outdoors, Nature, Vacation, Female, Footwear, Shoe, Jeans, Denim, Person, Human, Apparel, Pants, Clothing

"Use a condom. Just do it"

When we said join a society, we didn't mean the clap club. Rumour has it that Newcastle's version of Freshers' flu is actually Chlamydia. If he really likes you, he won't care about wrapping it up!

Say it with us – NO GLOVE, NO LOVE!

Lily, 20, Law at Northumbria

Image may contain: Furniture, Couch, Female, Leisure Activities, Dance Pose, Apparel, Clothing, Person, Human

"If you come up with friends from home, try and branch out and meet new people. But make an effort not to forget about them, Uni can be a lonely place."

Lesson learned: make new friends, but don't forget to check up on your OG's. It's great to broaden your horizons, but it's always nice to have a piece of home up in The Toon with you.

Soph, 20, Architecture at Northumbria

Image may contain: Bench, Rural, Building, Shelter, Face, Smile, Pants, Countryside, Sitting, Clothing, Apparel, Outdoors, Nature, Furniture, Woman, Blonde, Female, Child, Girl, Human, Person, Teen, Kid

"If you don't make friends during Freshers' week, don't stress. Most people don't make proper friends until the middle of the year, if not later."

Freshers' week, despite the hype, is not the be all and end all. If you're sat in your room with no mates besides the random girl on your course who sat next to you during induction, don't worry. We've all been there. Let yourself and the people around you settle in a little and everything will work itself out. Tbh, you probably won't see half the people you met during Freshers' week again anyway.

Anon, 20, Fine Arts at Newcastle

Image may contain: Necklace, Jewelry, Shorts, Photo, Photography, Portrait, Face, Woman, Neighborhood, Building, Accessory, Accessories, Urban, Roof, Clothing, Apparel, Female, Human, Person

"Just enjoy first year as much as you can, because it all gets a lot more serious after that."

Have fun! First year is a time for letting loose and learning what The Toon has to offer. Go out, meet new people and join that weird society your mum won't stop talking about. Yes, you are here to get a degree, but you are also here to have a good time and make some bad decisions. So do both in style!