Image may contain: Accessories, Sunglasses, Accessory, Text, Word, Crowd, Human, Person, Parade, Protest

These Newcastle students are organising a beach clean for World Oceans Day

Go on, make our David proud

Exams are over. The Robbo is a distant memory. You're feeling dishevelled, exhausted, aimless. You miss the sense of purpose that exams gave you. What is there to do except wait until August re-sits?

Well, one Newcastle student is harnessing her new-found time and putting it to use by organising a beach clean for World Oceans Day.

Image may contain: Soil, Sand, Land, Beach, Coast, Weather, Ocean, Sea, Flare, Light, Red Sky, Dusk, Dawn, Sunset, Water, Shoreline, Sky, Sunlight, Outdoors, Nature

The beach we have a duty to protect

The student-led event, organised by Megan Keates will take place on the 8th June between 10am and 2pm at Tynemouth Longsands Beach. All equipment will be provided by the Students' Union so all you have to do is turn up and give something back to the beach that we all know and love.

The state of the environment is a huge concern, with the likes of David Attenborough and Greta Thunburg demanding immediate action. After the climate change march which occurred in Newcastle City Centre earlier this year, we've seen what student-led action can do. The beach clean this weekend goes beyond recycling and using paper straws. It is an opportunity to take direct action and do something that will have an immediate impact on the environment.

Image may contain: Accessory, Sunglasses, Accessories, Crowd, Boot, Jeans, Denim, Banner, Label, Text, Footwear, Shoe, Pants, Person, Human, Apparel, Clothing

Newcastle's climate change earlier this year

David Attenborough's 'Our Planet' has been beneficial in opening up the dialogue regarding the environment and climate change. And whilst more and more people are expressing their concern for the environment, it is not enough. Talking is easy. Doing, on the other hand, is what actually makes a difference.

Now is not the time to take a backseat because 'somebody else will do it', now is the time to panic. As the 15 year old climate activist, Greta Thunburg said, we need to "panic like the house is on fire".

For more information about how to get involved in the beach clean, click here.