Newcastle have won the ‘best university experience’ award for their development of mental health services

It was awarded by The Guardian

Newcastle University has won the 'best uni experience award' at The Guardian University Awards.

The award is given to a project which aims to have a positive impact on the academic or personal experience of students.

Newcastle won for its development of the psychological therapies training and research clinic. This provides an accessible alternative to NHS treatment for students with anxiety and depression.

Image may contain: Alcohol, Beverage, Drink, Bar Counter, Pub, Restaurant, Home Decor, Glass, Human, Person

There is a growing problem in the UK with the number of students reporting problems with their mental health. Newcastle has made therapy room service available for one day a week.

The average wait time for NHS treatment in the North East is ten months, but with the start of this programme the average wait time from referral to starting treatment was less than two months.

The University of Westminster and York St John came in behind Newcastle and were highly commended.

Image may contain: Leisure Activities, Food, Meal, Apparel, Clothing, Person, Human

Bex Whitehead, head of the communications team for JISC who sponsored the award, said: "“Congratulations to Newcastle University who has established a psychological therapy training and research clinic to provide students suffering from anxiety or depression with easy access mental health care.

"The university’s entry is an example of making a meaningful and impactful change in supporting student mental health when demand for services is so high and sees them successfully win this year’s award."

Image may contain: Plant, Apparel, Clothing, Face, Female, Kid, Blonde, Human, Girl, Woman, Person, Teen, Child

In other awards news, Newcastle also came in at 7th in the world and TOP in the UK in The Times Higher Education award for contribution to climate action.

Newcastle has been praised as a great example of how to combat climate change. The award is based on a number of things including low carbon energy use, the presence of a university-wide climate action plan and working with local or national government to address climate change planning.