Image may contain: Girl, Text, People, Female, Face, Clothing, Apparel, Human, Person

We spoke to Newcastle Femsoc about Women’s History Month and why Feminism is still important

Down with the patriarchy!

In 1987, March was named Women’s History Month. Whilst huge strides in promoting gender equality have been made since then, there is still a way to go. Newcastle’s Femsoc is part of the movement that strives for a more equal society by providing an open, intersectional, trans-inclusive and anti-racist space for feminists of all shapes and sizes.

We sat down with Femsoc members in their final meeting in March and chatted with them about Women’s History Month, what being a Feminist means to them and who inspires them.

Image may contain: LCD Screen, Paper, Display, Screen, Monitor, Hardware, Computer Hardware, Keyboard, Computer Keyboard, Computer, Electronics, Laptop, Pc, Person, Human

When or why did you become a Feminist?

"I grew up around strong female family members who inspired me to become a feminist."

'I had to do a presentation about a passion of mine at school. I realised that that passion was Feminism."

"There was an incident where my neighbour said something sexist to me that made me become a feminist. On the whole, the process was gradual, but I knew I was a feminist by sixth form."

Why is it important to celebrate Women’s History Month?

"Women are often erased from history, from footnotes. So many great women are often behind the amazing work that men take credit for."

"It’s important to look back at women’s history to inform us on the activism that needs to be done."

"History is written by the victors and those victors are generally men. Women’s History Month is there to subvert that. Moreover, it plays an important part in bringing more marginalised groups into the mainstream narrative."

Image may contain: Brochure, Paper, Flyer, Advertisement, Poster, Text, T-Shirt, Sleeve, Human, Person, Apparel, Clothing

Did anyone in particular inspire you to become a feminist?

"My auntie. Coolest feminist ever. She got arrested at protests and everything."

"Jacob Tobia is an inspiration to me. They are a non-binary LGBTQ rights activist and feminist writer."

"Alok Vaid Menon. They are a gender non-conforming LGBTQ rights activist and performance artist."

Do you think the uni does enough to promote gender equality?

"They do more than other institutions but of course there is still a way to go."

"It will never be enough until there is equality for all marginalised groups."

"There still exists quite a few problems at the uni. Some people don’t see sexual assault as an important issue which is highlighted by the posters promoting awareness about sexual assault which were defaced."

"Of course they don’t do enough but it’s at least something."

Speaking to Femsoc members in an open and accepting space was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. If you'd like to find out more about Femsoc, visit them on Facebook @nusufemsoc and head down to their next meeting!