Image may contain: Poster, Advertisement, Face, Human, Person

Here are the candidates running to be the next NUSU Education Officer

Voting is now open

The Education Officer is your go-to for all things course and study related – super important!

Voting closes Thursday so get going before it is too late to have your say.

Visit the NUSU voting page here.

Pablo Charro de la Fuente

Pablo's main five points are:

1. Microwaves in the libraries

The university has been obstructing this policy since 2013, when the oldest record about the issue can be found, and they are not actively doing anything about it. To address it I would create a report of the cleaning services of the different spaces of the the University that have microwaves to convince the Library, offer them the SU to pay for the microwaves. If none of this works promote a campaign to rate the library low in the NSS because of their lack of collaboration with the student bodies.

2. More ReCap

There are still schools that absolutely refuse to use ReCap, when it's one of the essential tools for students with mental health issues to keep up with studies. As Education Officer I would lobby the university to make it more difficult for lecturers to refuse the use of ReCap. For example, making them fill long forms for each lecture they don't record explaining the reasons.

3. Digitalise the Student Card

One of the main discussion topics in the SU is affordability. We need to digitalise the Student Card to stop the university from doing money out of the lost cards. The idea is basically to have the card in your app to register the attendance, and access the library (while keeping the physical card option also available for whoever wants to use it).

4. Improve feedback, and give feedback on assessments and received feedback

The quality of the feedback we currently receive isn't optimal, and this doesn't help students learn from their mistakes. Consequently I want students to have the option to give feedback on the feedback received.

5. Typed exams

Some students have bad handwriting or type faster than they write, and having the option to type their exams would be the perfect solution for this problem.

"Altogether, with the rest of my policies I want to improve welfare, affordability, employability, and the quality of the education at Newcastle University. I want students to have a three days minimum break between exams, because I want them to reflect their true potential, and there is empirical evidence that when students have several exams in a row they perform worst than when they have breaks between exams."

Adam Warner

Adam Warner 4 Education-Campaign video

Vote Adam Warner 4 Education on the 18th of March#Roar4Warner

Posted by Adam Warner 4 Education on Thursday, March 14, 2019

Adam's main five points are:

1. Cutting students' costs: transferable printer credits which can also be used to pay for binding.

2. Fairer assessments to better reflect the different skill range that students posses.

3. Learning difficulties outreach programme: To ensure those who face obstacles to learning such as low income, long commutes and being a student parent of guardian receive the support they need and those with undiagnosed disabilities are diagnosed and fairly compensated.

4. Think Forward scheme where students can draw upon the work of past students.

5. Greater assessment feedback such as receiving marked exam scripts.

"Vote Adam Warner for someone who has the relevant experience and can deliver what they promise #Roar4Warner."

Melanie Anne

Melanie's main five points are:

1. Providing more study space during the Daysh and Claremont renovations.

2. Run academic skill-sessions for university-level work to help people with their writing and presenting skills, peer-tutoring and revision sessions that show model answers.

3. Abolish hidden course costs: printing, dissertation binding, filed work and placement costs.

4. Mental health training for ALL faculties and schools.

5. Establish strong links with societies to balance your academic and social life.

"I study a masters in Education and I'd also like to mention that I'm the only candidate going for education officer that has been a undergrad, student-abroad and post-graduate student in this university so I'd like to think I understand the needs of a variety of different students!"