Image may contain: Mammal, Animal, Advertisement, Poster, Collage

Police confirm substance being thrown on people is liquid hand soap

No one has been injured

The Newcastle Tab reported that multiple people had had a liquid thrown on them by a man on a bike. Incidents were prevalent around the area of the Northumbria University campus.

The police have confirmed to The Newcastle Tab this was not a noxious substance but actually some form of liquid hand soap. They are still taking this very seriously and are appealing for witnesses to help them find the man in question.

The Newcastle Tab spoke to a number of victims and Northumbria police have confirmed that seven cases were reported to them.

Image may contain: Canine, Pet, Animal, Cat, Mammal, Person, Human

The liquid was thrown on girl's clothes and skin

Newcastle city centre Chief Inspector Steve Wykes said: “We can confirm that there have been seven reports of people in Newcastle being sprayed with an unknown substance by a man on a pedal cycle.

“None of those have been injured and early reports suggest the liquid in question appears to be liquid hand soap, rather than any kind of noxious substance.

“We will be carrying out tests to establish exactly what the liquid is but incidents of this nature do cause us concern and these reports are being taken very seriously by police."

Since the initial report, another victim told The Newcastle Tab: "That man also squirted me on Newgate Street at five to four, he's going around the city centre as well as campus".

Another girl came forward and said she had seen the same happen a few weeks ago, telling us "there was a man on the Northumbria bridge over the motorway chasing girls with a bottle in his jacket – we were more concerned it was something more serious like acid!"

The liquid was described "soap white" with a "mild burning feeling".

Image may contain: Khaki, Human, Person, Jacket, Coat, Apparel, Clothing

Chief Inspector Steve Wykes added: "These seven incidents have taken place in different locations and, although some of the attacks took place near to the university, we do not think students have been targeted.

“A number of proactive enquiries to locate the offender are ongoing and anyone who sees anyone on a bicycle acting suspiciously in the city centre is encouraged to contact police on 101.”

The person responsible is described as a white man, aged in his mid-20s, of medium build and with a scruffy, unkept appearance. He was riding a bicycle.

Anyone with information about these incidents is encouraged to call 101 and quote log 640 12/02/19 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.