Image may contain: Haircut, Hair, Dimples, Smile, Person, Face, Human

Agriculture society to hold rugby match in memory of Ed Farmer

Ed passed away in December 2016

The Newcastle Agriculture Society in partnership with NUSU will be holding a memorial rugby match in memory of Ed Farmer who passed away in December 2016.

The match will kick off at 1:30pm at the Medicals Rugby Football Club and everyone is welcome to attend and they are expecting a large turnout.

Image may contain: Accessories, Accessory, Tie, Head, Haircut, Tuxedo, Hair, Coat, Clothing, Suit, Apparel, Overcoat, Smile, Dimples, Human, Face, Person

Following the game at 5:30pm there will be an evening by candlelight outside the SU with a choir, speeches and fond memories of Ed.

The Facebook event for the match said "dust off your Christmas jumpers and come down and celebrate Ed's life on what should be a fantastic day."

President of the Student's Union, Raff Marioni told The Newcastle Tab, "It’s going to be a great day and evening with the rugby match and memorial, hopefully both with an incredible turnout. Crucially, we hope people understand what happened to Ed was both tragic and important. He wasn’t just an Agric who died on an initiation, he was a Newcastle student like the rest of us who passed away as a result of excessive alcohol consumption, which a lot of us can be at risk of when we go out. Raising awareness of his death will be important in keeping our students safe and preventing this tragedy happening again. Wrap up warm and get yourselves down to the match and the memorial to remember Ed."