Image may contain: Party, Smile, Blonde, Woman, Girl, Teen, Child, Kid, Face, Female, Apparel, Clothing, Human, Person

Bin collection, party decs and Vogue subscriptions: Everything you will learn moving into a second year house

How do you adult?

1. The party decorations never come down

You and your housemates decided to host a party in Freshers' Week, and yet come December, they still haven't been taken down. This is most probably because no one could be bothered, and now the birthday banners are beginning to look a bit tacky.

Image may contain: Crowd, Skin, Woman, Shoe, Footwear, Skirt, Shorts, Text, Female, Human, Person, Clothing, Apparel

2. November only means one thing: About seven viewings a day at the most inconvenient times

You'll probably be naked or very hungover when the estate agent decides to turn up at your door with a group eager freshers. At least it gives you a reason to tidy your room.

3. The bins are literally never collected

No matter how many times you put them out, your back garden will end up looking like a tip.

Image may contain: Mailbox, Letterbox, Can, Tin, Trash Can

4. The postman delivers more post for last year's tenants than they do for you and your housemates

You'll have a collection of Sainsbury's vouchers that will come in handy, and subscriptions to magazines which are definitely costing them a fortune. We get a free copy of Vogue every month, jokes on you.

5. Losing your house keys at some point in the year is practically inevitable

Probably on a night out, we're not that mature yet.

Image may contain: Night Club, Footwear, Shoe, Female, Club, Face, Clothing, Apparel, Party, Human, Person

6. Something is always gone off in the fridge

No matter how many times it's cleared out, there will always be a vile smell of gone off milk or some forgotten about cheese at the back of the fridge that has turned completely green.

7. Your landlord will either become your best mate or you will literally never, ever see them

8. There will be a leak at some point in the year

Whether it's a leaky toilet or broken sink, it will usually either lead to a constant smell of damp or some sort of mould. Yum.

9. The first month is spent emailing the estate agents about a broken drawer, a missing chair and about 10 other problems found after moving in

Image may contain: Indoors, Room, Human, Person

10. The hoover will break

Poor old Henry will definitely fall apart at some point, but it's not like he was ever used anyway.

Image may contain: Machine, Person, Human

11. Each house mate will have a different family member role

Whether you're the big sis or the absolute baby, your house definitely becomes your second family as you've chosen to live with each other rather than randomly being thrown together.

Image may contain: Female, Smile, People, Crowd, Face, Clothing, Apparel, Plant, Tree, Human, Person

12. Heating is more expensive than expected

It's no myth that students spend most of their time in their dressing gown.

Image may contain: Overcoat, Cushion, Hat, Cap, Jacket, Coat, Couch, Furniture, Face, Person, Human, Clothing, Apparel

13. With water bills, electric bills, TV licenses and all the rest, it really does hit you that you're adults now

You and your housemates have (conveniently) decided to pay bills separately rather than going for a bill-sharer, and while this makes the bills about £2 cheaper per week, it makes everything 10x more complicated. You'll be saying goodbye to your student loan before it even enters your bank account, and begin to ask yourself, is a TV license really essential?

Image may contain: Jacket, Coat, Living Room, Pants, Bedroom, Smile, Female, Furniture, Couch, Room, Beverage, Drink, Interior Design, Indoors, Face, Clothing, Apparel, Person, Human

14. Dishwashers are the best invention ever

Forget the piles of dirty pans and mouldy mugs you experienced in halls. The dishwasher will become your best friend in second year, and you'll never look back.

Image may contain: Dishwasher, Appliance

15. The smallest things will piss you off

You went through first year thinking you're not one to be easily irritated, and yet somehow living in a house means if someone even thinks about not flushing the toilet, you will kick off.

Image may contain: People, Female, Head, Lunch, Dish, Face, Supper, Dinner, Food, Meal, Tabletop, Chair, Dining Room, Room, Indoors, Person, Human, Shoe, Clothing, Apparel, Footwear, Dining Table, Table, Furniture

16. You'll find a randomer asleep on your sofa at some point in the year

Usually after a night out, it will just become normal to you to find random people in your house every now and then. Everyone's friends in Jesmond, right?

Image may contain: Living Room, Room, Indoors, Jeans, Pants, Denim, Apparel, Clothing, Person, Human, Furniture, Couch

17. You will get withdrawal symptoms when you're the only one in

Whether your besties go away for the weekend or just have a really busy day, you'll find yourself missing them when you haven't seen them for over an hour.

Image may contain: Human, Person, White Board