Image may contain: Female, Apparel, Clothing, Laughing, Portrait, Photo, Photography, Night Life, Smile, Party, Face, Person, Human

Bargain puffas, Waitrose and gap years: How to be a rah in Newcastle on a budget

Where do I get a cheap deal for my gap year in Thailand pls

As uni students we're pretty used to having no money, and no one can relate to the over priced Jesmond houses or getting drunk on £2.00 Lambrini more than us. But Newcastle is home to the rah – the people who do have a lot of money and can afford to pre-drink on branded booze.

But how do you become a rah? Here's what you need to do to be able to live the lifestyle and still have some pennies in your bank account.

The puffa jacket

Image may contain: Teen, Kid, Blonde, Child, Girl, Female, Woman, Jacket, Coat, Person, Human, Apparel, Clothing

You can't really call yourself a rah if you don't own a puffa jacket. Although your student loan probably doesn't feasibly stretch to a nice Tommy Hilfiger, Primark is always there for you. It's definitely an investment either way because you'll be wearing it day-to-night. Win win!

Rollies

Image may contain: Night Life, Party, Night Club, Club, Human, Person

Sorry, but your normal pack of fags just won't cut it now. And to be fair, smoking rollies is actually cheaper in the long run anyway, so everyone's a winner. Essential for breaks outside the Robbo and nights out at Block-Party and Swingers.

Shopping at Waitrose

Image may contain: Shelf, Human, Person, Market, Supermarket, Shop, Grocery Store

Waitrose isn't cheap, so realistically speaking it isn't great for your weekly shop. But for those of you who want better quality food or treat after a long, hard day in the lib, then the best time to pop to Jesmond Waitrose is an hour or half an hour before closing time. Basically when you can get some discounts. 50p croissant?! YES.

Getting a cheap Uber

Image may contain: Human, Person, Machine, Wheel, Transportation, Automobile, Car, Vehicle, Phone, Mobile Phone, Cell Phone, Electronics

Uber surge prices are ridiculous. One minute you're spending £8 to £9, then the next minute £40 has gone down the drain. So instead of getting that Uber on your own, how about you split the fare with friends, or even try out the Uber Pool. You still get to take an Uber but you split your fare with your fellow passengers.

The signet ring

A family heirloom or a spenny investment, but 100 per cent a rah necessity. If you haven't been lucky enough to inherit one and can't afford a proper posh one, Boohoo and ASOS do a bargain. Plus student discount, HURRAH! Being a rah is only a purchase away.

Swapping the gap year in Thailand for a Micro Gap Year

Finding yourself drinking cheap beer and sunbathing on exotic beaches in South East Asia is an experience, and also a great way to spice up your Insta feed. But it also comes with a hefty price tag. So we've found you a great deal. How about taking a micro gap year around the UK instead? You can still find yourself but for a cheaper price. Who needs Thailand?!

The vintage sportswear

If you want to fit in at Swingers then you're probably going to have to purchase something vintage. Although a lot of rahs rely on their dad's old ski jacket or a nice little Ralph Lauren number, we've got you covered. If you have a browse around you can find discounted sportswear, and although it might still not be the cheapest purchase ever, you'll make friends for life in the smoking area.

Photo credits: Swingers – Aaron Shaquille Carlton