Image may contain: Bench, Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Jar, Plant, Ivy, Flora, Person, People, Human

Pets in Jesmond are cutting their paws on broken glass and it’s really sad

We need to look out for our friendly, furry pals

Local pets are cutting their paws on broken glass which is being left on the streets of Jesmond, despite the fine for littering in Newcastle being up to £2,500. This has caused concern for younger citizens as residents have reported seeing broken glass near West Jesmond Primary School.

George Gibson, a Northumbria student living in the area, said that his two cats returned home with deep cuts to their paws as a result of walking through glass. “The broken glass is dangerous and hurting the pets of Jesmond", Gibson told the Jesmond Local. Since the incident, his cats have had an unpleasant experience with bruising and discomfort from the damage.

Most glass was found on popular streets including Manor House Road and Ferne Avenue on a Saturday morning. This suggested that the damage was done by people drinking on a Friday night. Tankerville Terrace, where West Jesmond Primary School is located, also had glass on it.

Image may contain: Walkway, Sidewalk, Pavement, Path, Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora, Traffic Light, Light

Osborne Road

A third year student told The Newcastle Tab: “A lot of students leave glass around, and it’s easy to do, but I think they forget it can cause injuries for people and pets.” Another resident said that “it has an impact on everyone – children, pets, drivers…”. Not only is this harmful to pets, but the cost of the damage can be extortionate.

The broken glass issue causes danger to both pets and people. The council advise citizens to report finding any broken glass through to Envirocall system so that they can help the issue. Another way to report an instance like this is through FixMyStreet.