Image may contain: Night Life, Party, Person, People, Human

Drinking, Greggs and Yorkshire Pride: How to spot a Northern student in Newcastle

Three years of living in Newcastle and I still don’t get the tea/dinner hype.

Northerners can spot each other instantly. From the Geordie to the Scouser, the Glaswegian to the Lancastrian; they're all great folk. Known for their chips and curry sauce culture, how can you not LOVE a Northerner? In fact, we love them so much we've decided to come up with a list of things that'll help you find them (not that they're that hard to spot).

Superhuman clothing choices

You can spot a Northerner by the fact that no more than 50 per cent of their body is clothed at any one point in time (they don’t wear jackets on a night out). Seriously, how?

Image may contain: Night Life, Night Club, Club, Person, People, Human

Greggs

What's one thing that every Northerner has in common? Their undying love and appreciation for Greggs. Newcastle is home to the first ever Greggs and cheese and onion pasties are a common Northerner go-to snack. Sausage rolls too if we want to get technical about it.

Image may contain: Party, Smile, Portrait, Face, Person, People, Human

Sausage roll in hand.

The accent and dialect are hard to miss

Aye = yes

Nee = no

Whey aye = of course

Bird = an orange girl

The infamous dinner-tea conflict

One’s called dinner, one’s called tea. Typically, people from the North refer to their evening meal as "tea", whilst people from the South call it "dinner". Who’s right? Is there even such a thing as being right? Don’t get me started on the bun and bap divide.

Image may contain: Meal, Food, Breakfast, Person, People, Human

They love to drink

People from the North love going out. Honestly though, who wouldn’t with their cheap beers and affordable cocktail deals? (One point Newcastle, zero points Cambridge).

Image may contain: Bottle, Swimwear, Clothing, Bikini, Person, People, Human

Pride

People up north will always find a way to talk about their home. We love a proud Northerner.

NB: You never need to ask someone if they're from Yorkshire because they will have told you within the first five minutes of meeting you.

Image may contain: Vehicle, Transportation, Train, Food, Burger, Person, People, Human

They're often caught lingering around McDonald's after a night out

There's always something going on in a Maccies on the weekend, if you're after some drama after your night out, you know where to go.

Image may contain: Camouflage, Officer, Military Uniform, Military, Person, People, Human

They pride themselves in good comfort food

They love good food and you'll see them looking for Newcastle's equivalent of Middlesborough's Manjaro’s, Edinburgh's special chippy sauce or York's Yorkshire pudding wrap. Great things come from great Northerners.

Image may contain: Curry, Fries, Meal, Fried Chicken, Food, Bowl

They're always the best people to have on a night out

Seriously, the dreadful wait-in-line-for-drinks affair becomes a socially pleasant affair as you’re approached by a friendly Northerner. The same is true when dancing. Prepare to mingle with interesting people who you'll definitely find yourself grabbing parmo and kebabs with at 3am.

They're the friendliest and most welcoming people

You’re a mate, she’s a mate, he’s a mate. We’re all mates! But seriously, try going to the local Sunday market, you won't be able to stop yourself from smiling at the gracious and welcoming attitude and atmosphere of the Geordies.

At the end of the day, there's no place I'd rather be than in the Northern (better) part of the UK.

Photo credits: Chris Gray (Soho Rooms), Aaron Shaquille Carlton (Swingers)