Image may contain: Clothing, Apparel, Shop, Person, People, Human

My hometown is so shite that we don’t even have a club

We don’t even have a Spoons to grab a Dark Fruits

The town of Ashbourne, a small market town located in the heart of Derbyshire. Great for antique shops and cute quirky tea rooms but not so good for clubbing and a boozy night out. Our parents tell us of the "old days" when Ashbourne had some great clubs, the places where they spent their youth. But for us poor souls who were born too late we can't have the classic Cassandra night out.

Image may contain: Vehicle, Transportation, Car, Automobile, Bench, Person, People, Human

So for us student folk we have to settle for a night in the pub…

Finding the best places to drink

Image may contain: Pub, Bar Counter, Cup, Bottle

Seeing as we have no clubs and no Spoons (shocking I know) we have to make do with the various pubs and bars located around our small town. We used to have around 14 pubs and bars but now we barely cope with 10 (for which only a few serve what we drink).

Travelling for a decent night out

Image may contain: Night Life, Music, Leisure Activities, Crowd, Audience, Person, People, Human

To get close to a decent night out you have to travel to our closest city Derby but even that is a disappointment. Coming home from the party city Newcastle your expectations for a night out are pretty high, so coming home and expecting a good night out is pretty slim. Derby may have a PopWorld and Lola Los but they are nothing compared to Soho Rooms, Flares and Club Trop. Never mind the £25 for a taxi back to Ashbourne, I'd rather walk.

Singing around the Christmas Tree

We may not have club nights where celebrities like the Chuckle Brothers make an appearance, but we do have the treat of singing Auld Langs Syne around the Christmas Tree on our market place when the clocks strike 12 on New Years Eve. It is special to our little community.

Expensive

Image may contain: Cocktail, Alcohol, Juice, Drink, Beverage, Strawberry, Produce, Plant, Fruit, Food, Flora

Living in Ashbourne means expensive drinks and no happy hour deals. From the pubs we do choose to go in the price for a single vodka and mixer ranges from £3.50 to £5.00 and don't even think about mentioning a triple (the look of shock on their face is priceless).

However there a few great features of our small market town ….

Shrovetide

Image may contain: Person, People, Human

We may not have either a club or a Wetherspoons but we do have this event called Shrovetide Football, which is basically a big drinks fest along with a large scale football game taking place through the town. The game of course is very important to us Ashbourne folk as it has been going on since 1667 and happens every year around February and March time, but the fact that it is acceptable to go on an all day drinking sesh around all the Ashbourne pubs and see everyone you haven't seen while you've been at uni is the best part. Thanks to the idea of plastic cups you then get to stroll from one pub to the other and drink on the street whilst waiting to hear the results of the Shrovetide game.

Despite not even having our own nightclub and only having the local pubs, we make do with what we have and we bloody love it.

Get breaking Newcastle news straight to your WhatsApp by clicking here. If you have any tips, message us on +44 7715 750931.