How to chill out in Newcastle during final term

Don’t let exams get you down

| UPDATED exams newcastlelife

For night-life and socialising, Newcastle is definitely up there in the big leagues. Whether you’re a ‘Digi-Mondays’ lover, Swingers’ biggest fan or fancy a civilised bev on the Quayside, it’s fair to say that Newcastle has everything to offer when it comes to socialising with your pals.

And it’s not just about blue trebs either, Newcastle has some amazing independent foody places and unmissable events for you to get your teeth into. The list is endless… obviously, depending if you have a whole load of free time and not five upcoming exams and an unfinished dissertation on your hands.

But don't stress. Newcastle is still 'all fun and games' even during exam season. Here’s a few things to get you out of the Robbo for a few hours during exam season.

Wylam Brewery

Pretend you know your 'IPAs' for just one day.

Even if drinking is the last thing on your mind, Wylam Brewery is a great place to unwind and relax in the middle of the woods when the suns out. You’ll find it in Exhibition Park where they also host events and gigs if that’s your thing. If not, they do a nice pint as well. A perfect place to end a stressed day and not too far of a walk from campus.

Dog and Scone

Image may contain: Pug, Pet, Mammal, Dog, Canine, Animal, Person, People, Human, Blackboard

Okay so it would be rude to not include this place. Dog and Scone is a HUGE hit in Newcastle because whether you're stressed or not, who doesn’t enjoy the company of cute doggos? This Quayside café is perfect for making you feel better about that shoddy assignment you just submitted.

Just ONE night out a week

Sweating in the Robbo when half of your mates are posting 'celebrating handing the diss' pictures on Instagram can be absolute torture. There is absolutely nothing worse than FOMO but, you can still do work and have fun. Sounds unlikely I know, but how about you treat yourself to one night out per week? That way you can beat the trebs withdrawal and still be productive. Just try not to peak too early and ruin yourself for the next day.

Treat yo’ Self at the Metrocentre

Because you're spending so much time on revision, your bank balance will probably look the healthiest it’s been. So, why not make a trip to the Metrocentre to take your mind off revision and spend some of your hard-saved cash instead. If you have a railcard, it’ll only cost you £1.85 on the train for an off-peak return too. Bargain!

Cake Stories

Image may contain: Cookie, Brownie, Biscuit, Food, Dessert, Chocolate

Because calories don't count in exam season.

They say breaks during revision are healthy and seriously beneficial for being productive, so why not fill your break with something unhealthy like a homemade slab of cake from Cake Stories in Jesmond. They have everything from Red Velvet and Lemon Drizzle to unusual flavours and even have a vegan range. You can do it Bruce.

Re-fuel at the Fat Hippo

Image may contain: Bowl, Meal, Breakfast, Sandwich, Food

Boots meal deal < Burger and fries

If you don’t fancy something sweet at Cake Stories, then a Fat Hippo date is a perfect way to end a big sesh in the library. Their messy patties and dirty fries are to die for. They have restaurants in Jesmond and in the city centre and even have a Fast Hippo lunch menu where you can grab a burger and chips for just £6.

The Quayside

Image may contain: Bridge, Shipping Container, Planetarium, Building, Architecture

You can get some great Insta content too

Sometimes there’s nothing better than fresh air and a good walk to take your mind off things. The Quayside is the perfect place for it. Even though it’s difficult to resist the 2-4-1 cocktails in the Slug and Lettuce, the Quayside is a great place to walk off those deadline headaches with a lush view too. If you can't be bothered for the trek however, Jesmond Dene offers the same kind of therapy.

The Baltic

Image may contain: Prison

"Edgy"

Art-student or not, The Baltic museum of contemporary art is a perfect for something a bit different on a revision break. Whether your looking for inspiration or you’re sick of the Robbo’s four walls, it’s free admission and they usually have three or four exhibitions on at a time with a gift shop and kitchen too.

Tynemouth

Because wine is a necessity during exams.

Need a full day to completely unwind? Then Tynemouth is the place for you. Think battered fish and chips, fresh air and a cute walk down the seafront. Riley’s Fish Shack or Longsand’s Fish Kitchen are the place to be for your seaside fish and chips fix but if you fancy something a little unconventional, Ora do amazing tapas as well!