Image may contain: Person, People, Human

NUSU Elections 2018: Meet the candidates running for Welfare and Equality Officer

Look out cos here they come!

There's been strikes, there's been snow – it's enough to make you want to curl up in a nice cosy bed and forget about deadlines. But university politics never sleeps, and these candidates need you to support them! Avoid the hustle and bustle of campus lobbying however and read this easy article instead, where we've compiled everything you need to know about the all singing, all dancing candidates trying to be your next Welfare and Equality Officer.

Jack Green

Image may contain: Light, Glitter, Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Person, People, Human

"People should vote for me as I've been heavily involved in NUSU. I'm currently RAG president, so I've organised large events and campaigns before. I want to ensure that every student at Newcastle receives same, first class experience while studying here at Newcastle."

Jack's manifesto in five points:

1. Better break activities from studies.

2. Lobby the University for more money towards resources and counselling for mental health.

3. Regular drop in STI clinics in the SU and around campus.

4. Wider outreach for campaigns.

5. Ensuring minority groups are represented in NUSU.

Jack's campaign video:

Read Jack's full manifesto here.

Zoë Godden

Image may contain: Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Person, People, Human

"I live and breathe liberation campaigning, so I want to ensure marginalised groups (BAME, LGBTQ+, disabled, carers, international etc) all feel welcome at NUSU, and that the SU is always striving for inclusion and supporting our students. I’ve got plenty of experience too, as I’m the current Students with Disabilities Officer, and have been on committees for the Mental Health, Disability, and Feminist societies. A vote for me is a vote for someone who truly cares about the issues and stress students are currently facing."

Zoë's manifesto in five points:

1. Reintroduce mental health training for personal tutors.

2. Campaign for changes to PEC forms regarding bereavement, removing requirements for death certificates and direct familial ties.

3. Introduce better freebies for the Stressed Out Students (SOS) campaign during exam season.

4. Organise donation drives for tampons/contraceptives for Period Pride, and run events for #NotOnMyCampus for Sexual Abuse Awareness Week.

5. Integrate more LGBTQ+ inclusive events throughout the year.

Zoë's campaign video:

Read Zoë's full manifesto here.

Sneha Vincent

Image may contain: Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Tile, Mosaic, Art, Poster, Collage, Person, People, Human

"My flagship policy for the campaign is 'give your voice' through which I'm aiming to make student welfare equally representative. I've been the Part time International students' officer for 2 consecutive years, and through my experience I've noticed a lack of student representation and connected to this is the lack of student engagement. I am an international student and like everyone else I've had my fair share of student problems, and that's why I want to bring welfare support to the forefront."

Sneha's manifesto in five points:

1. Build a positive student environment.

2. More environmental safe policies and take ‘greener’ initiatives.

3. Increased awareness of the Student Unions’ and University’s initiatives.

4. More focus on emotional and mental health support.

5. Increase students' employability.

Sneha's campaign video:

Vote Sneha Vincent #1 for welfare//NUSU Election campaign video

Watch my FULL election campaign video on why you should vote for me "#1 for welfare and equality".This took a lot of effort and creative insight and I must thank my campaign team for all their love and support.MAKING STUDENT WELFARE MORE REPRESENTATIVE.GIVE YOUR VOICE TO THE DEBATE.VOTE IN THE NUSU ELECTIONS ON MONDAY, 5TH MARCH. VOTING OPENS AT 12PM. #NUSUelections #welfare #support #love <3 <3 <3

Posted by Vote Sneha Vincent #1 for Welfare on Saturday, March 3, 2018

Read Sneha's full manifesto here.

Click here to cast your vote.