Image may contain: Person, People, Human

Things every Newcastle student will do to piss of their housemates

Don’t be THAT guy

Your first year of uni was a whirlwind and you probably spent half of it necking blue trebs and watching Netflix in bed, instead of doing that assignment that was in for two days time. Now it’s time to make the most important decision of possibly your whole university experience, it’s time to pick a house that you will be sharing with your new best friends for the foreseeable future.

Whilst considering which wall tapestry to hang in your living room and how many strings of fairy lights you will need to give your new house that homely feel, it is probably a good idea to also consider these few ‘simple’ things that will most definitely piss you off and the people you live with.

Image may contain: Tub, Bathtub, Person, People, Human

The aim of the game

It’s as simple as this, the first one to tidy looses the game. It is the ultimate stand off between housemates, who will wash their mountain of pots first? Who was the last one to scrub the toilet?

An alternative game that your housemates will not be able to stand is, who can play their music the loudest at 2AM? Who can bring the most amount of people back for an ‘after sesh’? All of these games incorporate your own personal pleasure, as well as annoying everyone you live with.

Image may contain: Housing, Building

Get in the bin

What is it about taking the bins out that we students despise so much? Is it the having to carry an overflowing bin bag down the stairs in the freezing cold or having to walk down the back street behind your house to hunt for the wheely bin, that will inevitably be down the opposite end to where your house actually is? I guess we will never know, one thing that we do know is saying “I’ll do the bin later” never actually happens later, in fact by now, the bin in your kitchen has probably started to overflow and seep questionable liquids onto your kitchen floor. And while we can admire that your trying to be all eco and save the planet, it’s probably not a good idea to contribute to the mess by leaving rotten milk cartons and pizza boxes with half eaten crusts next to the back door because “it needs to go in the recycle bin”.

Image may contain: Table, Dining Table, Cup, Person, People, Human, Furniture, Couch

Pull the plug out

If you are lucky enough to have one of those slightly fancier uni houses with a bathtub as well as a shower, enjoy it, you are very lucky. However we all live here and would like to indulge in a bath from time to time and it would be greatly appreciated if you didn't leave your scummy water in the bath because you were to drunk to pull the plug after a night out. Chances are your housemates will not be sticking their hand in to pull the plug, god knows what you've done in it or who you've had in there with you. And if you do leave a thick tide mark, then we can’t be blamed when your toothbrush gets used to scrub all of your left over crap off.

The infamous food thief

The whole “if I can’t remember, it didn't happen” motto doesn't really work when it comes to stealing your housemate's food. They will definitely know that you stole a spoonful of their Nutella and will probably get suspicious when their milk starts to evaporate. After stumbling into your 9AM lecture after a heavy night on the Jagerbombs, all you can think about is that bag of Uncle Ben’s rice waiting for you in the cupboard when you get home, well don’t look forward to it to much, chances are it has definitely been inhaled by the infamous food thief of the house. This person is the ultimate stealth master and strikes when you least expect it.

Image may contain: Drink, Beverage, Oven, Electrical Device, Appliance

"I'll just do my pans tomorrow…"

And whilst there is much more to say when it comes to ways to really annoy your housemates, these are just a few, that if you chose to follow could crown you the most annoying housemate. Although second year is lots of fun and will probably be your favourite year out of the three, don’t be a pain and clean up your crap.