Image may contain: Drink, Beverage, Alcohol, Party, Swimwear, Clothing, Bikini, Person, People, Human

How to play the long game with your Gold Rush crush

Gold Rushing to the end of the year: It’s just like Fresher’s week

You’ve been hiding it for the past three years, telling yourself he’s not worth it, but with university coming to an end you can’t deny having thought about Gold Rushing at least once. Whether it’s the gorgeous guy from your lecture or your first year halls, or even an intriguing stranger you met years ago on a night out… there is still time for all these missed opportunities (and a last hook up)!

Some of your friends might have already begun planning their Gold Rush, making lists and flirting away in lectures. Though, chances are if you are reading this that you are not as far ahead, but not to worry the Tab has got you covered.

1. Make eye contact

As creepy as it sounds, eye contact is vital in the long haul of a Gold Rush. We are not talking about the wide eyed, hypnotised staring you (most often) give that total 10/10 at Swingers on a Thursday night wishing they would return it instead of walking off with some girl wearing a puffer jacket. A flirty glance and smile will make all the difference in getting noticed in any situation (which by now you should have mastered on the walk to Leazes in that first year of uni).

Image may contain: Pc, Laptop, Electronics, Computer, Person, People, Human

2. Drop some likes

Everyone has accidentally liked someone's picture with their mum from 100 weeks ago during an intense stalking session. From experience we know how embarrassing it can be, hoping to never see that person again, but during the Gold Rush no restrictions apply. Why not give your potential Gold-crush a few likes on their Instagram? If they are interested they will definitely return them.

Image may contain: Pc, Laptop, Phone, Mobile Phone, Iphone, Electronics, Computer, Cell Phone, Person, People, Human, Book

3. Start going to the Robbo

With the exam period approaching what best way is there to do some (boy) research than at the Robbo? Surprisingly, the Robbo is the place where you coincidentally get reunited with everyone you are trying to avoid, starting with the guy you go with that one night in Tiger Tiger in Freshers' Week that even goes to Northumbria. Chances are, your Gold-crush will be there too. Finding a seat next to them during those long hour shifts that drag into the night (spent procrastinating) is the perfect way to Gold Rushing.

Pretending to having to get up to get a coffee or to walk over to the printer seductively to collect the thousands of blank pages you have printed every five seconds will have him 100% looking your way (and a way to practice your smile and eye contact of course). Leading to potentially starting a casual convo when you ask to use his MacBook charger because you "forgot" yours back in Jesmond.

Image may contain: Clothing, Apparel, File, Person, People, Human

4. Go to the same clubs

Newcastle is known for its crazy nightlife and it can be challenging finding your crush in one of the many clubs and bars, especially when you exasperatedly end up in Soho at 2am once again. But try and remember where you met them the first time as they will most likely be regulars there! If that doesn't work out, it's always great to ask around and (kinda) overhear his weekly plans in that 9 am lecture on a Monday (that you never knew could become useful some day).

If not, there's the Snapchat map for a reason…

Image may contain: Pc, Laptop, Computer, Keyboard, Electronics, Person, People, Human

5. Make friends with his friends

If you make friends with his friends, Gold Rushing is guaranteed. You will be up to date with his plans most of the time and don't even need an excuse to "accidentally" fall over on him (after you have begged your friend to push you). By sticking with his friends you might even have a shot at getting a romantic, long awaited Munchies together on the way back from a club.

Image may contain: Party, Drink, Beverage, Alcohol, Swimwear, Clothing, Bikini, Person, People, Human