Image may contain: Person, People, Human

NUSU should be supporting our lecturers during the strikes, not opposing them

Our SU is not being supportive

Over the next few weeks, Newcastle University is set to be taking part in the strikes that are being implemented by the UCU (University and College Union).

In a statement released by the NUSU President Ronnie Reid on behalf of the NUSU Sabbatical Officer team, the NUSU have stated they are against the strikes, despite the possibility lecturers could lose up to £10,000 a year in their pensions.

Reid released a statement expressing his personal opinion on the Students' Union President’s Facebook page, commenting that although he understands the pension scheme should be "fair and sustainable", the current pension scheme deficit is too large, and something should "close the gap". His full statement can be read here:

Image may contain: Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Text, Letter

Reid then commented underneath the status, stating this view was actually held by all the Sabbatical Officer team. However, many part-time Officers support the strike.

Hannah Fitzpatrick, NUSU's LGBT+ Officer stated: "It takes a lot of courage to stay true to your principles, and I feel a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for the striking lectures and the people at the council who defended them.”

Image may contain: Word, Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure

As someone who represents the whole student body, as a student I find his statement problematic. It claims to speak for the majority – when this is not necessarily the case. Reid's statement was released before there had been any discussion about the views of other students on these strikes, and has ignored those who have agreed to stand in solidarity with lecturers.

In his status he states diverting funds 'may' lead to increased tuition fees, however this is misleading since our fees have nothing to do with our lecturer pension schemes.

Politics student, Jamie Cameron told The Tab Newcastle he disagreed with the actions of the SU, describing them as trying to "drive a wedge between teachers and students". He added: “In this way, the University executive and its followers like Ronnie Reid are putting the very fabric of this University at risk."

History student Amelia Ward, who supports the strikes, said: “None of us are happy about lost contact hours but complaining and blaming lecturers is ineffective. We need to support the strike and come out on strike days to the picket to put pressure on the university, hopefully this can reduce the days lost to strike acyopm and protect our lecturers pensions.”

A motion had been put forward to Council stating the Union should support the staff strike, however it was rejected, leading to the resignation of Marginalised Genders Officer, Emily Sherwood.

When asked to comment, Emily stated: “The Union voting against the motion to support the upcoming staff strike, and the attitude from the Sabbatical Officer team towards our academic staff was the final straw that pushed me to resign."

This is what you can do if you want to support the strikes

UCU suggest writing to the Universities Vice-Chancellor, asking them to resume negotiations with UCU immediately. Their easy 3-step template can be found here.

Showing solidarity with our lecturers. This could be something as simple as refusing to cross the picket line on the strike dates, including not going in for non-compulsory contact hours and not going into the university libraries.

Sending them an email stating that you will support them if they decide to strike.

Using social media to educate others on why we should not attend classes during the strike dates, putting more pressure on the university and Universities UK to reopen negotiations on the pension scheme.

When contacted for a statement Ronnie Reid told The Tab Newcastle: "The Students' Union do not oppose the strikes, but we have decided to take a neutral stance on this issue. Instead, we are working on four key assurances for every student that may be affected by this action.

1. PEC assurances for students that have missed contact hours and sessions with Dissertation supervisors.

2. Accurate information on whether or not a lecture is taking place.

3. Ensuring that salary savings on the April payroll are invested in student facing services.

4. Firmly looking into compensation for students who have missed tuition.

This is a frustrating and wholly regrettable situation, but it is my intention to try and help minimise student impact as much as possible."