Image may contain: Drawing, Art, Sink, Person, People, Human

The Tab Newcastle presents student recipes: Five step pasta dishes for under a fiver

The spag to my bowl

Just ask any Italian person you know and they will say the more simple you make the pasta, the better it tastes. This is the student’s dream, simple, cheap tasty food. Every student has to be decent at cooking pasta, other wise how will you survive?

Let's be honest here, after a long day in the Robbo, no-one really want to think about that January bod. All we want to do is to curl up in our dressing gown in front of Silent Witness with a quick, warming and simple dinner. There's a reason why pasta is a student’s favourite ingredient: it’s cheap, lasts forever and fire alarm proof to cook…you can’t go wrong!

Here are five easy, five step pasta dishes for a fiver or less that won't break your vodka budget and that even the most unexperienced cooks can handle.

The Simple Spaghetti Bolognese

Spaghetti Bolognese is a firm student favourite.

Spaghetti bolognese

Serves 4

Ingredients

Image may contain: Receipt, Text

Method

1. Add the oil to the pan and gently fry the onion and garlic.

2. Once the onions have turned translucent, add the beef and brown.

3. Add all the other ingredients except mozzarella, stir and leave to simmer for 20 minutes (add a little more water while cooking if needed).

4. Cook the spaghetti for 12 minutes, drain slightly, then add to the Bolognese sauce with a little of the spaghetti water.

5. Mix it all in well then serve with torn fresh mozzarella and black pepper.

The Comforting Carbonara Conchiglie

A quick and easy classic!

Serves 2

Ingredients

Image may contain: Text

Method

1. Put the egg yolks, Parmesan, black pepper in a bowl and whisk with a fork. Cook the pasta per instructions and save some of the water.

2. Heat oil over a medium-high heat. Add garlic and bacon to the pan, cook till crispy.

3. Add the pasta to the pan. Toss well over the heat soaking up all the flavour, then remove the pan from the heat.

4. Add a dash of the cooking water and mix well, season, then pour in the egg mixture – the pan will help to cook the egg. Mix well, adding more cooking water until it’s silky and glossy.

5. Serve with a lashings of Parmesan and more black pepper

The Healthy

This dish is packed full of fresh flavours and vitamins. Grab a couple of friends round and knock them up a mid-week dinner. Serve with parmesan if desired.

Serves 4

Ingredients

Image may contain: Text

Method

1. Cook pasta per pack instructions.

2. In the meantime, put 2 tablespoons of the oil from the tuna into a frying pan over a high heat. Add the garlic, anchovies, shallots and chilli, fry for 5 minutes.

3. Add the tomatoes, tuna and spinach and stir until spinach has wilted.

4. Add the pasta into the pan and gently combine (feel free to add more of the oil if too dry).

5. Serve in warm bowls garnished with the lemon zest and juice.

The Tomato and Mushroom

A easy Italian tomato pasta dish that makes a cheap vegetarian meal.

Tomato and mushroom pasta

Serves 4

Ingredients

Image may contain: Text

Method

1. Cook pasta per instructions

2. Heat the olive oil in a Large frying pan until hot. Add onions and stir until soft and slightly brown. Turn down the heat and add the garlic and mushrooms. Leave for 1-2 mins.

3. Add tomatoes and mixed herbs, turn the heat down and leave to simmer for approx 5 mins stirring occasionally.

4. Once mixture has simmered add puree and stir in, simmer for a further 5 mins.

5. Serve sauce with freshly cooked pasta, finished with parsley and cheese if desired!

The Classic Cacio E Pepe

This minimalist dish is basically cheese and pepper, an elegant Mac n’ Cheese. Requires only a few ingredients so it's super easy.

Serves 2

Ingredients

Image may contain: Text

Method

1. Cook pasta according to pack, until about 2 minutes before tender. Drain, reserving a ladle of pasta cooking water.

2. Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large heavy pan over medium heat. Add pepper and cook, swirling the pan for 1 minute.

3. Add 1/2 a ladle of reserved pasta water to pan and bring to a simmer.

4. Add pasta and remaining butter. Reduce heat to low and add Parmesan, stirring and tossing with until melted.

5. Remove pan from heat; add Pecorino, stirring and until cheese melts and the sauce coats the pasta (Add more pasta water if sauce seems dry.) Transfer pasta to warm bowls and serve.