Image may contain: Pc, Laptop, Electronics, Computer, Person, People, Human

We need to talk about the glamorisation of first-year

Is there too much hype surrounding the first-year of university?

I’m sure many would agree that the first-year of university is often presented as being the most exciting year for students. Before starting university, I’d see numerous posts on social media showcasing exactly that. But is first-year really as glamorous and entertaining as we are led to believe?

Navigating through my school years had generally been quite comfortable. Despite the blood, sweat and tears that went into my A Levels, I had an amazing support system of teachers who would go above and beyond for me, as well as my friends. But my transition into university has been quite difficult if I’m honest, and one I’m still learning to adapt to.

Image may contain: Clothing, Apparel, Fur, Person, People, Human

The St. Anthony's Sixth Form gals

I had somewhat of an idea what uni life would consist of as I’d previously attended the summer school at Newcastle. I loved the atmosphere and it was definitely very helpful in giving an insight into uni life. What I hadn't fully prepared myself for was being away from my friends, and saying goodbye to the school environment I'd been so comfortable in for seven years. Of course at the time, like many teenagers I’m sure, I couldn’t wait to leave and begin afresh to study something I deeply loved and enjoyed. I definitely didn’t see myself missing sixth form already.

Image may contain: Sculpture, Art, Worship, Church, Cathedral, Building, Architecture

When the architecture at Newcastle gives you life

The first-year of university tends to be glamorised massively – you may see your friends having the time of their lives as you scroll through your Facebook feed, but the reality of the matter is often quite the contrary. I mean, how much fun can people really be having in Loughborough? Pretty sure your drunken trip to the kebab shop can't have been that exciting, Tom – please spare us the Snapchat updates.

Jokes aside, I'm not saying first-year students don't have fun. My point is, we're often pressured into 'having the best time', with people we barely know – which can be a daunting concept for many.

Image may contain: Crowd, Music, Leisure Activities, Paper, Confetti, Person, People, Human

It's difficult not to feel lost and overwhelmed when everyone is telling you how much fun you're supposed to be having. Ellie, first-year at Hull, told The Tab: "It's overlooked how intimidating it can be to build a social circle from scratch, adding living away from home to that can make you feel quite isolated". Indeed, this rings true for many students.

Although it is rarely discussed, there are students who struggle with adapting to university life – and honestly, that’s okay. You're not a loser, a loner or in any way inadequate for feeling this way. University is after all one of the biggest, most daunting changes you will most likely have experienced. It's important to remind yourself that thousands of students have also left home, with their friends now all over the country. They too are living independently in a new environment, and most likely experiencing financial struggle – so you won't be the only one feeling this whirlwind of emotions. Leeds student Martha raised an important point: "There's a lot of pressure on students to really enjoy first year and it's really hyped up in the media – in reality it can all really take a toll on your mental health". I do believe there needs to be a wider discussion on this matter, considering it affects so many students across the country. It takes a lot of courage for students to admit that first-year is indeed, difficult. Seeking help or counselling is also okay – you aren't abnormal for doing so. No issue is insignificant.

I’ve been asking myself though, what do I need to do?

Image may contain: Woman, Person, Human, Girl, Female

Well, I haven’t made things easier for myself as I chose to stay at home to study, so I’m restricted in that I can’t have the full ‘student experience’. It isn't ideal that I can't always attend events because they're simply too far away. What has been getting me through my transition into university though, is my incredible course and spending so much of my time in such a wonderful city (don't tell anyone from Sunderland that). I’ve come to realise that I can’t put my happiness in the hands of others, and that it’s okay to be comfortable in my own company.

Image may contain: Pillar, Column, Building, Architecture, Person, Human, Crowd

Gotta love the Toon

I’m sure it goes without saying – friendship is a wonderful thing and should be valued immensely, but you can’t depend on it to give you contentment. It’s so important to focus on being the best you can be first and foremost, pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone, and letting everything else happen at its own pace. Value yourself. And that doesn't just mean being the best in terms of your education – it also means not being a twat. If people smile at you, SMILE BACK for god's sake.

Image may contain: Music, Leisure Activities, Person, People, Human

Comparing your uni experience to that of others, or setting unrealistic expectations based on what you see on social media, will only cause unnecessary anxiety. You can’t expect to create epic friendships in a short space of time. There is no set deadline (thank god) for things to happen in life. You may feel as though you're alone, but you aren’t. Don’t be so hard on yourself.

Photography credits: Justin Gardner – Cirque du Soul