Image may contain: Smile, Portrait, Face, Potted Plant, Plant, Person, People, Human

Meet this years BMOC’s – Part 1

Newcastle’s brand managers on campus

The most elite form of promo-wanker, these guys are at the top of the campus hierarchy when it comes to gains and gizmos.

Meet the real brains behind the brands; this year’s BMOC's are bigger and badder than ever, ready to dish out the knowledge and goods needed to see you through your uni year. So keep your eyes open around campus for this lovely medley, and your ears peeled to have your chance to get involved.

Phoebe Swindon – Bubble; The ‘Bubble Babe’

Year/Course: Third year Law.

Why did you choose to work for Bubble? It is such a useful app for students and being someone who has previously found the whole housing situation a nightmare, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to be a part of something so beneficial to future students. Plus, with the competition of one-year free rent to one lucky house who find their house through the app, it is definitely an interesting project to be a part of.

What are the main perks of the job? The perks of the job are definitely the free merchandise that we get, plus we get to put on fun stunts and meet loads of people.

What’s your favourite way to promote the brand? The best way to sell the brand is via stunts that attract people’s attention, I am not going to reveal our upcoming ones, but keep a look out on campus! Also, as mentioned before, the competition for the launch of the app this academic year is quite unique and eye catching.

Which Newcastle nightclub best describes you? Tup Tup, because every queen needs her palace.

Favourite drunk food: Smashed avocado on toasted sourdough with a pinch of salt.

Tell us a fun fact about yourself: Did I mention, I’m vegan?

Where do you see yourself in ten years’ time? CEO of Bubble Student, watch out Felix Henderson.

Matt Mcilwham – Circle

Year/Course: Fourth year, Quantitative Finance and Risk Management.

Why did you choose to work for Circle? They have a really good reward scheme for sign-ups, always give out prizes and are always looking to make student life easier, like paying a mate back through iMessage.

What are the main perks of the job? There’s a lot of sound people working around the UK so there’s always an excuse to organise a work night out and circle like to sponsor events here and there if you sell tickets through their event page.

What’s your favourite way to promote the brand? Even if you don’t have the app you can receive money to your phone number, so sometimes I just drop a quid or two into their account, most will download it from the text saying they’ve received a quid.

Which Newcastle nightclub best describes you? I’d say The Cut, for a year I lived in a room lit by a red bulb, I was just too lazy to change it.

Favourite drunk food: Cheesy chips and gravy or a wrap of the day from McDonald’s – classic.

Tell us a fun fact about yourself: I once lost odds on and had to do a 6am bungee jump at Hideout.

Where do you see yourself in ten years’ time? In 10 years I see myself retired from bitcoin with two pet red pandas.

Flo Strachan and Jess R-King – Sipsmith Gin

Year/Course:

Flo: Third year, English Literature

Jess: Third year, Journalism

Why did you choose to work for Sipsmith?

Flo: I love gin and have always thought of Sipsmith as a funky and cool company. They do really great festivals and gin masterclasses in the summer. Who wouldn't want to be involved with the gin company that bought copper pot gin distilling back to its London roots?!

Jess: My cousin was the BMOC last year and I thought it was such a cool brand so wanted to get involved. We have learnt how to make really tasty cocktails and of course, there is nothing better than sipping on a Sipsmith G&T after a stressful day at uni.

What are the main perks of the job? Naturally, a good supply of gin and tours of their distillery in London. We get to hold gin parties and at Christmas are putting on sampling sessions at John Lewis and Fenwicks!

What's your favourite way to promote the brand? Through gin sponsored events, for example, at Christmas we will be doing lots of events with hot gin and sloe gin tonics. We are also going to be working closely with Newcastle University Gin Appreciation Society which is the perfect way to meet and chat to people who love gin.

What Newcastle nightclub best decribes you?

Jess: Flares, because you love to hate me.

Favourite drunk food:

Flo: Cheesy chips and gravy with ketchup and mayo. Yum.

Tell us a fun fact about yourself:

Flo: There's a star in space named after me.

Jess: My middle name is Angel.

Where do you see yourself in ten years time?

Flo: Drinking Sipsmith G&T's on a beach far warmer than the Toon.

Jess: Famous.

Megan Pode – Teach First

Year/Course: Third year, Pharmacology

Why did you choose to work for Teach First? I heard about the work they do in schools, both for graduates and the pupils and wanted to be a part of such a positive programme. I first heard about Teach first from a Brand Manager so I was excited to open other people's eyes about what a brilliant scheme it is and hopefully get lots to sign up! The vision of the charity is also something that I feel strongly about myself so that was a factor too.

What are the main perks of the job? From Krispy Kremes and pick'n'mix to croissants and smoothies we do lots of food related activities which is always a perk. Also telling someone about the programme for the first time, if they go on to apply its special to think next year there might be some teachers in schools that wouldn't be there had we not caught their attention on campus!

What’s your favourite way to promote the brand? People often glance at it and think "this is not for me, I don't want to be a teacher". We try and do things that engage people long enough that they understand it's not all about teaching, telling people about the grad scheme whilst they eat is usually a good way of getting attention!

Which Newcastle nightclub best describes you? MSA because I love a drink and a dance, it's like the perfect in between.

Favourite drunk food: Cheesy chips and gravy (of course)

Tell us a fun fact about yourself: I waitressed at Joe Harts kids birthday party and served half the Man City team party food.

Where do you see yourself in ten years’ time? Still braving the cold up north, not sure I could leave having a Greggs around the corner all the time behind.