Newcastle student flats to be stripped of similar Grenfell Tower cladding

It’s in St James’ Point

Fire safety tests on cladding used on St James’ Point student accommodation in Newcastle have failed to meet safety standards.

It was confirmed that the privately operated, 11-storey accommodation was panelled with Reynobond PE cladding, which is the same type of cladding with a flammable centre that was used in Grenfell Tower. The owners of St James’ Point, Brookfield Student Real Estate (BSRE), have confirmed that work will start “immediately” to remove the material.

A statement from BSRE said: “The safety and welfare of our student residents is, as always, St James Point’s top priority.

“Following tests as advised by the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG), St James’ Point can confirm that the Reynobond PE cladding is installed on the building and that immediate preparations are under way to fully replace all panels.

“We continue to work in close partnership with Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue who today have confirmed that St James’ Point has all fire safety provisions in place to continue to safely accommodate our residents with whom we are communicating directly.”

St James’ Point can be seen on the right

The £18m development was completed in two phases, the first was completed in September 2014, containing 216 studio flats. The second phase was completed the following year, and both are positioned close to Newcastle University’s Business School and St James’ Park Football stadium.

After the university year ends, the flats are also let out during the summer holidays. The accommodation is not one of Northumbria University or Newcastle University’s accommodation partners and it is privately-run.

A spokesperson for Newcastle University said: “We are working closely with the landlord as more information becomes available and we are keeping all our students living in St James’ Point regularly updated to offer them reassurance and support.

“The owners, have already put a number of fire safety measures in place to ensure the safety of the residents and these include increased regular security patrols at the building.

“Their building manager is contacting all the residents to update them and has given us assurances that if any of our students have additional concerns these will be dealt with.”

A Northumbria University spokesperson said: “We would encourage any students who may have concerns to contact their provider or our student support and welfare team.”