Newcastle University rowers have victory over Durham for the third year running

It’s Newcastle’s 5th win since the Boat Race of the North started in 1997

Hide Images

Newcastle University Boat Club emerged victorious over their Durham University rivals with a 5-1 overall victory in the Boat Race of the North on the Tyne river last weekend.

There were six races in total, with both universities fielding a beginner, second and first ranked eight-oared crew from their men’s and women’s squads, each racing head-to-head.

The contest was raced over 1,500 metres, from Redheugh to the Gateshead Millennium Bridge, taking in some of the North East’s most iconic landmarks along the way.

The first race was the beginner women’s, where Newcastle put up a good fight but were over powered by a strong Durham crew. In the second race, it was level at half-way, but the Newcastle beginner men’s crew put in a big effort to end up winning by a clear margin.

The third and fourth race, with the men’s and women’s second 8s, both went Newcastle’s way with both Newcastle crews leading from the start and winning comfortably.

The penultimate race saw the women’s first 8s go head-to-head. Newcastle took a small early lead and held it till the last 500 meters where they increased the lead to win by a large margin.

The last race saw the men’s first 8s. Newcastle took the lead off the start, but Durham pushed hard and held Newcastle until around half-way. However, from the mid-point, the Newcastle crew pushed out and won by clear water.

Newcastle University Boat Club President, Barnaby Stroud-Turp, said: “This year’s event was brilliant. It proved popular with the competitors and public alike. We were very happy with the win and we are keen to see it return again next year.

“The Tyne provides an amazing waterway in which to race, it is great to see the city from a riverside perspective and have crowds lining the Quayside and cheering us on.”

The Boat Race of the North has been held since 1997. Durham University has won eight overall trophies. This is the fifth win for Newcastle University, which has dominated the last four editions of the Boat Race of the North.

All pictures by A J Johnston.