Taking the edge off public-speaking anxiety: a student’s guide

‘There’s vomit on [my] sweater already, mom’s spaghetti’

“Woody Allen always experiences dreadful stage fright before a live televised act. On such a night, he tells his agent, “I can’t go through with the show, my nerves are in tatters. I haven’t eaten or slept for days. I feel like vomiting.”

His agent suggests that he eat a chicken sandwich to calm his stomach to which he frantically replies, “Hey man, I’m nauseous! Food is the last thing on my mind!”

Suddenly, a member of the stage crew rushes into the dressing room and announces that the show has been cancelled. In an instant, Allen dispassionately stretches over and takes a hefty bite of the sandwich calmly mumbling, “Have you got any salt…?””

– My dad, 2017

What do I, my dad, and Woody Allen all have in common? Unfortunately, it’s not a knack for film-making or a widely emulated comedic style. Fortunately, it’s not the “unconventional” family situation either. What we all share is the phobia of speaking to a large group of people.

The stages of emotion my face goes through when I’m told I have a presentation coming up

Since a lot of emphasis is put on presentation skills in education and many high powered jobs, the Woody Allen anecdote can be a painful reality. Anxiety may never disappear entirely but it can be managed, even channelled into a creative rather than a destructive force. Here are the strategies that work for me:

Start by speaking in seminars

Force yourself to make at least one point in every seminar or workshop. Once you get into the habit of making yourself heard on a small scale it will be easier to make yourself heard on a large scale.

Prepare as if it’s a military operation

If it’s a group project, aggressively stake claim to the slides you have created. Never let anyone give you a PowerPoint slide without making them run you through every point in detail. I’ve been both a perpetrator and victim of vague prompts. Bungling through a slide that was clearly not written by you is uncomfortable for everyone involved.

To reduce uncertainty in Q&A sessions, Dr. Helen Stringer, a professional speech and language therapist and lecturer at Newcastle University, suggests: “making the audience [your] allies by allocating questions to members of the audience [that you know] to ask at designated times” and giving rewards (she recommends chocolate) to encourage audience participation.

Wear something that makes you feel smart (and sassy)

The last time I presented I wore a miniskirt which beforehand I low-level worried might make me self-conscious. During, however, I like to imagine I became a 90s girl, a slightly less clueless, more informed Cher Horwitz if you will (even if it was a discounted skirt with a slightly temperamental zip).

Still trying to be Cher

Consider the presentation as a means to an end, not an end to a means

Consider it an opportunity (albeit an unwelcome opportunity) to get better at public speaking. A stepping stone. Confidence is a marathon, not a sprint.

Measure yourself by your own progress rather than how you measure up to others

If other people are presenting before you, avoid focusing on how confident or unconfident they may seem. Concentrate on what they say, as opposed to how. If possible arrange to “[be] the first on the bill” (as Dr Stringer’s recommends) in order to lessen the build-up of anxiety. Any module leader worth their salt should understand and may be able to accommodate this if you request it.

Speak in a low pitch

For ages, my anxiety was intensified by the fear of sounding nervous. Anxiety fuels anxiety – Sod’s Law. Divert your energy into lowering your voice. It is easier to control the physical (pitch) than the mental (anxiety). Many voice tremors will be ironed out and it will force you to speak slower, more calmly. Normally, I wouldn’t advocate Margaret Thatcher as a role model, however, it might be worth taking a leaf out of her book and training yourself to speak at a lower pitch.

Reconsider your anxiety as a tool rather than a spanner in the works

Consider that you’re nervous because you care and are therefore less likely to say something stupid or wrong off the cuff. Dr. Stringer observed that “often the anxious students end up giving better presentations than their more confident peers” due to the amount of thought and effort they invest in their presentation.

Channel nervous energy into passion (or anger) rather than fear

Anger has an edge to it and will hopefully come across as assertiveness rather than aggression. Not the most emotionally healthy coping method but do what you have to do.

Tie up your presentation with a modest ‘thank you’

Although it may feel pompous, it prevents you from finishing with an ‘Ummm so yeah, that’s pretty much it really…’ and lets your audience know you’ve finished. You’re more likely to get applause this way. Although, maybe that’s just because your audience is already intimidated by your angry voice and want to appease you. Either way, you get applause.

Seek professional advice if you need it

Dr. Stringer offers unlimited support and advice sessions. These sessions examine the specific causes of anxiety in an individual and offer tailored strategies. Such strategies include identifying how you communicate most effectively in everyday life and considering alternative methods that allow for greater control such as presenting via video or in an interviewer-interviewee style format with a peer.