We asked Newcastle students if they’d been to a ‘super-party’ – they all said no

‘A super-party? Like a crazy big party?’

After the controversy over Jesmond “super-parties”, we’ve been asking students what they really think. The Newcastle City Council recently released a video warning students about these house parties and their possible repercussions. The video is thought to be patronising and a meagre representation of a real Jesmond house party. Do “super-parties” even exist?

Joe, fourth year, Engineering 

Have you ever been to a Jesmond “super-party”? Never heard of a super-party.

Have you been to a house party blocked with mattresses and sofas? I’ve been to a party of maybe 80, though none of the exits were blocked dangerously.

Dan, first year, Music

Have you ever been to a Jesmond “super-party”? No, never.

Do you think they’re dangerous? Maybe, I’ve heard they can be. Some of my mates have been and said that they get rammed.

Have you been to one blocked with mattresses and sofas? No I don’t think I have, but I’ve been to one where bikes blocked the exits, but I got kicked out of that.

Cooper, second year, Architecture

Have you ever been to a Jesmond “super-party”? No.

Have you been to one blocked with mattresses and sofas? Yeah.

Have you ever been to a party with hundreds of people there? No.

Rayyan, third year, Biomed

Have you ever been to a Jesmond “super-party”? Well I’ve been to quite a few big ones.

Do you think they’re dangerous? No, they’re not that dangerous at all; they’re no more dangerous than going out. They sometimes get a bit crammed but if you’re going to a party you are accepting the risks anyway. They usually get shut down by 2 or 3 am and then everyone is just on the streets.

Have you been to one blocked with mattresses and sofas? Yeah, they usually block the front door and no one’s allowed out and just have one exit. There’s been quite a few like that this year with bouncers.

Harriet, first year, English Literature

Have you ever been to a Jesmond “super-party”? A super-party? Like a crazy big party? No.

Have you been to one blocked with mattresses and sofas? No.

Sarah, first year, Modern Languages

Have you ever been to a Jesmond “super-party”? I’ve been to one big one, but it got shut down at about 1.30 am and the police showed up.

Do you think they’re dangerous? Personally, I don’t think they’re dangerous. It’s safer than being out in town because you’re with people you know and can’t be left or get lost somewhere.

Have you been to one blocked with mattresses and sofas? No I haven’t, the people who are organising it usually sort everything out and clear the whole area. I’m sure there are some they’re blocked so it feels more like a club.

Callum, first year, Chemical Engineering 

Have you ever been to a Jesmond “super-party”? No, haven’t heard of them.

Sarah, first year, Chemical Engineering