The heir to Greggs has been jailed after being found to be a paedophile

His sentence is 13 and a half years

Hide Images

Colin Gregg, the heir to Newcastle’s favourite bakery Greggs, has been jailed for indecently assaulting boys aged under 15, over a period of more than 30 years.

Gregg, aged 75 from Gosforth, was branded by the judge as a “sophisticated, predatory, paedophile”.

He had helped to build up the family business, and also worked as a social worker in Newcastle. His said to have abused his position of trust, as a teacher and headteacher, to sexually abuse young boys. The grandfather was found guilty of nine counts of indecent assault following a trial earlier this month at Leeds Crown Court. He has been jailed for 13 and a half years.

Baking goods or baking bad?

In typical Newcastle student fashion, there was a mixed response from students The Tab contacted about the news. Izzy, on hearing the news, said “Why did he have to make pastries seedy?! Dickhead”. Agriculture student Paddy, simply commented “Poor gingerbread men”.

The court heard that Gregg abused one victim in a swimming pool, while the others were molested in a gym, his study or a car.

The judge said: “What it demonstrated is that there is not a shred of remorse within you for your offending and the utter contempt for the complainants as children found its echo in your contempt for them as men.”