It’s been a year since Drummond Puddle Watch

Almost 20,000 people watched in awe

It’s been a year since Drummond Puddle Watch. A whole year.

Let’s take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves what actually happened. It was an event that gripped the nation by storm – featuring in The Telegraph, Guardian, BBC, and was trending worldwide on Twitter.

A mere 5m wide the puddle prevented pedestrians from crossing between Jesmond Road West by the Robbo and Jesmond Metro station. It’s a popular cycle and walking route between the city centre and Jesmond. A marketing firm Drummond Marketing, whose offices were right next to the puddle, set up a live stream on Periscope using an office iPhone which they pointed at the puddle to documented people’s techniques to overcome the obstacle.

People lost their shit over how interesting this was and it quickly picked up momentum on Twitter. Within an afternoon Dominos were on site offering free pizza, freelance journalists were taking quotes from pedestrians that had crossed the puddle, 20,000 people were watching online and photos were being taken of anyone who wanted to pose for the cameras.

That evening then second years Sam Blackburn and Lucy Stewart were featured in The Daily Telegraph as Sam took Lucy across the puddle in his arms. They later were recognised on campus for their stunt and adopted the name Puddle King and Queen.

Lucy Stewart (puddle Queen), third year, said: “I can’t believe it’s been a year since Drummond Puddle Watch. The whole world went crazy over a puddle. It cured exam season boredom.”

People even brought lilos and surf boards to the freezing cold puddle to take selfies.

An a seller on eBary even managed to sell puddle water in a bottle. The item description said: “This is a nearly full 600ml bottle of genuine Drummond Puddle Watch water from Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne. Own your piece of the worlds most famous puddle. Extremely rare. You cannot drink this water it’s for decorative purposes only. It would look beautiful displayed on on your mantelpiece.” You can see the ebay listing by clicking here.

R.I.P. Drummond Puddle.