Two students violently robbed on campus

Police are warning students to consider their own safety

Northumbria Police have appealed for witnesses after two teenage students were mugged on campus in the early hours of Friday morning.

At around 2.30am on November 4th, an 18-year-old male was in Kings Walk, near the Students’ Union, when a group of seven or eight people walked up behind him, knocked him to the ground and stole his wallet and mobile phone.

Similarly, at 2.49am, police received a report that a 19 year old male had his wallet and phone stolen on Windsor Terrace, near the Robinson Library.

In this case, officers arrested three males and one female, aged between 15 and 20, but the proximity of these crimes to campus and their violent nature has led Police to issue a warning for students to consider their own safety when walking through the city at night.

City centre Neighbourhood Inspector Nicola Wearing said: “Both of the victims in these incidents were students and we are visiting both Northumbria and Newcastle universities today to pass on crime prevention advice.

“When [students] are out and about it is advised that they keep valuables such as mobile phones secure and out of sight, and to also plan routes and methods of getting home in advance; looking out for friends and fellow students along the way”.

Anyone with any information on either of these two incidents is asked to contact Police on 101 quoting reference number 70 04/11/16.