Another student house was burgled in West Jesmond at the weekend

This comes following a hammer-attack last week

Northumbria Police have patrolled Sunbury Avenue and Bayswater Road and the surrounding area warning students to be aware of crime this autumn as the evenings start to draw in.

It comes after an metal hammer attack on a 21-year-old girl left her hospitalised and a recent burglary that took place early Saturday morning on Bayswater Road. The house is home to five second years at Newcastle University.

The burglary happened between 1:30am and 10:00am on Saturday 14th September. It’s thought the thieves got in via an unlocked window before they stole property from the front room.  They stole 3 iPhones, a bag, two wallets, some cash and keys.

Northumbria Police are investigating and have carried out house to house enquiries and are appealing for witnesses. Anyone with information should call police on 101, quoting reference number 411 of 24/09/16 or ring the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Advice to prevent crime

Police are issuing advice to students to help stop them being targeted by thieves.

Thieves and burglars are aware that new students are in the city and specifically target the area, looking to capitalise on easy opportunities left by students.

Things like – communal doors to buildings being left open. Windows being left wide open and ajar. Expensive items like tablets, mobile phones, MacBooks and laptops being left out in communal areas or in plain sight of windows.

Police top tips for students to avoid being targeted

Make sure you lock your doors and windows when leaving your home, and even when inside the house as sneak thieves can strike while you are in another room.

Make sure your laptops, phones and tablets are registered with GPS tracking apps and have security software on them and to just think that little bit more about crime prevention.

For more crime prevention advice visit northumbria.police.uk.

Anyone with concerns about crime or disorder where they live should contact their local neighbourhood policing team on 101 ext 69191