Newcastle climbs six places to become 190th best uni in the world

That’s an awful lot higher than Northumbria

The latest Times Higher Education World University Rankings have placed Newcastle as the 190th best University in the world, an increase of six places from last year.

This means that we’re placed as the 32nd best uni in the UK globally, which is an improvement of one place from last year as we’ve climbed ahead of Reading.

Sadly, Manchester, Leeds and Edinburgh are all significantly higher than us in the rankings. But don’t worry; we’re still academically superior to Northumbria by a long way. We’re also ranked above Bath, Loughborough and Surrey.

The Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings, released yearly, are based on 13 indicators, drawing from a database of university performance metrics, with more than 150 separate data points on each of the 1,313 leading research universities in the world.

This year’s rankings contain more universities than ever before from over 79 countries. It’s website states: “The THE World University Rankings are the only global university league tables to judge research-intensive universities across all of their core missions – teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook.”

The top five places unsurprisingly remain unchanged in the 2017 figures, with Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial leading the way.

But let’s be honest, who cares about global rankings when you live in a city where you can buy three trebles for a fiver?