Just because I smoke weed, it doesn’t mean I’m lazy or psychotic

It’s an unfair stereotype

Too many people stereotype stoners as lazy, unproductive and mentally unstable.

I have smoked cannabis regularly for almost two years now, but a year ago I would probably have been too scared to admit that. I used to worry about the repercussions of smoking weed. There was always this overriding feeling that I was doing something wrong. But now, having learnt so much about it and from researching for my dissertation on the debate over liberalization, my mindset has completely changed.

First of all, I’d like to dispel some myths. Yes, I am a cannabis user, but I am not a) addicted or dependent, b) lazy and unproductive or c) psychotic, paranoid or schizophrenic. All of the above are outdated stereotypes created with the sole purpose of stigmatizing certain social groups to pursue political gain. If I’m honest, if you’ve made it this far and still believe cannabis is a demon drug which will turn you loopy, you really need to read up on your facts.

Cannabis is not physically addictive in the same way as alcohol or cigarettes. You can become a habitual cannabis user, yes, but you can also order Domino’s four times a week – that doesn’t mean pizza is addictive and should be banned. Also, cannabis does not cause psychosis, it has never been clinically proven – experts say there is a potential, but weak link. I’ve heard the classic “…but I have a friend who smokes loads of weed and they’re really paranoid, it messed them up” – have you ever asked them what the actual problem is? Chances are they had some shit to deal with and used cannabis to try and keep them level headed and help them to escape that stuff. For a lot of people, cannabis is not the problem, it’s the solution. Simply blaming weed for someone’s issues is nothing short of detrimental, in doing so you are totally avoiding the real problem.

As for the lazy argument, the standard Jeremy Kyle stereotype of weed smokers being unemployed, unmotivated and just generally a burden on society is totally wrong. It is down to the individual to work out whether you have a tendency to be lazy. And if you know you’ve got shit to do, don’t get high, in the same way I’d advise you not to get drunk. We’re all adults now, if you’ve got to university and you can’t work out that having a fat doob before an exam is not a good idea, then that’s your problem. Don’t blame weed for your grades, its like an overweight person blaming chocolate for them being fat.

Some people can actually be productive when they smoke weed, some of the best essays I have ever written have been when I’m stoned. For me, weed helps me to think more deeply and critically about things, something which my degree relies on. Sometimes I feel like there is a correlation between people who smoke weed and those who are very open-minded and interested about the world.

I’m not trying to convince people to smoke weed, I really couldn’t care less whether you do, that’s totally up to you. If it works, it works. If it doesn’t, move on and accept that it’s not your thing. But don’t stigmatize those who enjoy the benefits of smoking weed and are able to function normally whilst using it in their day to day life. Cannabis has a history dating over 12,000 years, it’s no surprise that every culture has found a need or a use for it. This culture just needs to stop lying about it.