CCTV footage released of man who mugged disabled student last weekend

They called the attack ‘cowardly’

Northumbria Police have released a CCTV image of a suspect involved in the mugging of a disabled student on Sunday.

At 3:05pm on Valentine’s Day, a Newcastle fresher with mobility issues had his phone stolen in broad daylight after being threatened with extreme violence.

The police are now appealing for anyone who recognises the person in the image to give information.

Do you know this man?

Alex Nicklen, 19, who studies Politics and History, was walking home when a man approached him and demanded “give me your phone or I’ll put a gun to your head”.

The attacker is not believed to have had a firearm as both his hands were in plain sight but Alex was “shaken and scared” by the terrifying ordeal.

He said: “I had just been on a long walk as part of the Chinese New Year celebrations, so when I was walking home I was going much slower and limping slightly.

“It was clear that I wasn’t going to be able to defend myself at all”.

Northumbria Police are investigating whether the suspect targeted Alex because of his disability.

Alex Nicklen was mugged on Sunday

Newcastle Superintendent Bruce Storey said: “Enquiries are ongoing into this incident and we will look into the possibility that the offender has targeted the victim because of his vulnerability.

“If this is the case then this is completely unacceptable and cowardly behaviour and we need to identify the offender as soon as possible and take action.”

The incident occurred outside the Newcastle Uni building, Merz Court.

Alex believes his insurance will cover the cost of a replacement phone, but is now concerned he might suffer long term physiological issues as a result of the attack.

Police are appealing for witnesses, and anyone who was in the area and who may have seen or heard anything suspicious have been asked to contact them.

Anyone with information should contact police on 101, quoting log number 684 of 14/082/16 or ring the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

You can read the original story here.

@hamishausk / hamishauskerry.com