Metro staff member gets their leg caught between train and platform

It’s caused long delays on the network

Emergency services were called to Metro’s central station this afternoon after a member of staff got their leg stuck between the platform and the train.

The customer service staff member got freed by emergency services and was taken to hospital for treatment.

The incident, which happened at around 12:35pm today, caused delays to the Metro network. The member of customer service staff was freed by paramedics and the fire brigade at 12:53pm and taken to hospital with a leg injury.

Nexus, the Metro operator, is currently upgrading Central Station at the cost of £6m. The scheme plans to revamp the Metro ticket hall and platforms at Central Station in Newcastle as part of an ongoing programme of station modernisation work right across the Metro system.

A Metro spokesperson told The Chronicle: “Train services were halted on the airport line due to an accident to a member of staff at Central Station platform 2.

“Treatment was administered at the scene and the employee has gone to hospital with a leg injury.

“Due to the nature of the incident the train at Central had to be held there. This caused delays on rest of the system.

“Services were held up by 40 minutes and we’re back on the move at 1.20pm.”