Newcastle opens a new Greggs store… across the road from a Greggs store

There are already 31 Greggs in Newcastle alone

In a miracle of modern city planning, Greggs have decided to open a new store just across the street from an existing Greggs store — to save its Geordie customers the inconvenience of having to cross the road.

This most Newcastle of moments was captured by Tom Campbell on Twitter. Greggs later responded by clarifying they were in fact closing the shop in the foreground and reopening in the one across the street.

The new store is located on Newgate St, near the Gate and Grainger Market.

According to the Food Standard’s Agency, Newcastle is the Greggs capital of Britain with 10.8 Greggs stores per 100,000 people. Nearby Gateshead was second with nine Greggs per 100,000 residents.

Meanwhile, Greggs have recently been forced to reduce the opening hours of its legendary shop opposite Central Station, which stayed open until 4.30am to serve Newcastle’s late night crowds, due to complaints from local residents.

An anonymous second year recalled the time he stumbled across this late night food heaven after a heavy night in Digi. He said: “It was glowing bright, like an angel. Like some sort of worldly shrine to processed food”.

Greggs was founded in Gosforth and is currently headquartered in Jesmond.