What to do in Newcastle when your friend is up for the weekend

Make them really jealous

We’ve all had the same feeling.

Your mate from home is on their way up to Newcastle for the weekend, and you’re desperate to show them why your Facebook timeline is littered with pictures of you having a blast at uni.

Stuck for ideas? Luckily for you, we’ve compiled a list of the big attractions and little gems that the terrific Toon has to offer.

Quayside

Beaut

Not a place to be missed, the riverside of Newcastle boasts breathtaking scenery. The famous Tyne and Millennium bridges and the Sage centre across the water provide a stunning view. Quayside is also home to some of the city’s most stylish bars and restaurants, notably Pitcher and Piano or La Tasca where you and your mate can go for a chilled drink with an impressive backdrop. Want an even better perspective of the glorious city you live in? Pop over the bridge to the Baltic centre, which not only acts as a popular art gallery, but also as a viewing point for possibly the best panorama of Newcastle.

Osborne Road, Jesmond

Them Jam Jar burgers tho

Whether you’re looking for a decent bar crawl, or a quick pint and a catch up – Ozzy Road is perfect. The proud location of several popular bars including Spy Bar, Bar Blanc, Jam Jar and Osbornes guarantees every place will be teeming with students on the weekend. It’s a great way to start a fun night out, especially if the Happy Hour buzzers are giving you the chance to get money off your booze. It’s also a fantastic place to catch some sport, and the burgers in Jam Jar cannot be beaten.

Throwback

Like it or loathe it, Throwback is an unmissable Saturday night stop. It’s the only real place students can go out on a Saturday, the drinks are cheap, you can dance the night away to tunes played out by the Flares DJ upstairs and reminisce with your friend from home as songs from your school days blare out of the speakers.

The Botanist

A real gem. This relatively discreet restaurant and bar is located on the top floor of a building close to Monument, and it’s fair to say that it’s worth the long climb up (you can always hop in the lift). With a quirky, horticultural decor, the Botanist can act as the ideal place for a quiet drink but also as a delicious place to eat with your pal. What’s more, if you nab the right seat, you could get a lovely view of the city – but be quick, as this place fills up fast.

Jesmond Dene Waterfall

Because it’s just so cute.

Eldon Square

If your mate is a shopaholic, then wait till their jaw hits the floor at the size of this place. With a huge variety of all sorts of different shops and food outlets, it is difficult to not find what you’re looking for in Eldon Square, whether it’s a new outfit from River Island or a Krispy Kreme doughnut binge. There’s also plenty of student offers on most of the time, so you can knock off some of the dollar you’ve spent on some new treads. Safe.

St. James Park

Howay the lads

Magpie or Mackem, this has to be done. Whether you’re off to the footie or having a tour of the ground, this really is a great place to take a friend. There’s nothing like being part of the atmospheric Geordie crowd at a match, particularly if they win (huge emphasis on if). The tour is also very insightful, and affordable – you’re able to view the changing rooms, the tunnel, and stand with your mate pitch side as if you are opposing managers. You’ve pretended on Fifa. Now live it.

The Great British Cupcakery

Nice m8

Those milkshakes. The Great British Cupcakery is at the bottom of Grey’s street nestled amongst the Quayside eateries. It’s a great place to stock up on sugar levels and scoff dangerous amounts of ice cream. A cure to a hangover? Maybe not. But if it’s a rainy day, or you’re feeling hungry its the best place to pig-out.

Arlo, Jesmond

You know your hangover will be cured with a decent Arlo breakfast. Open seven days a week, Arlo bistro and cafe is a well-established part of Jesmond student life. It offers a fantastic menu of food and drink to take you through from morning till night.

The beach

A trip to the beach is the perfect way to end your weekend. It’s only fifteen minutes away, so hop on the metro and get some fish and chips on the seaside.

And if you fit all of that in, they’ll never want to leave. Thanks? No problem.