Meet Newcastle’s BMOCs

Brand Managers on Campus

Everyone knows them – they flounce around campus promoting their brand to everyone, either by driving around in their fancy branded cars or chucking out branded stress balls in lectures. Although we all hate getting offered flyers, we love free stuff, so how can we complain?

This is what they have to say for themselves.

Harry Rix – Smirnoff

Year/Course: Final year Business Management.

Why did you choose to work for Smirnoff?
 It’s is a fantastic brand and let’s face it – my job is to hand out free drinks.

Perks of the job?
 Stash, cash and the odd free lash. Contact me if you’re having a party with over 40 people and I might turn up with some free drinks.

Fun fact: I am a qualified HGV driver.

Biggest sin? Selling out on the Tab.

Greatest achievement on a night out? Beat boxing 2013 prize fighter.

Emma Martin & Grace Chau – Propercorn

Year/Course:  Third year History and Archaeology.

Why did you choose to work for Propercorn? We both share the same passion and enthusiasm as the rest of the Propercorn team and are keen to spread this amongst students who want a guilt free snack.

Perks of the job? An unlimited supply of popcorn. However we have a few annoying friends often knocking on the door for a few bags.

Fun fact: We sang to the Queen before, she was really nice.

Phobia? We’re fearless.

Greatest achievement on a night out? Fell asleep in a toilet for six hours, to be woken up by the cleaner at 3am.

Ellen Newsome – ISWAI

Year/Course: Final year Marketing with Management.

Why did you choose to work for ISWAI?
 I knew the brand through Caggie Dunlop, loved the brand’s style and I also liked that it isn’t already very well-known on campus – hopefully I can change that.

Perks of the job?
 Getting to promote clothes, phone cases, wallets, scarves etc and getting to meet the other ISWAI girls.

Fun fact: Russell Brand once tripped over my legs in Bloomingdales back in the days when he wore guyliner.

Phobia? People touching my knees.

Greatest achievement on a night out? Managing to convince people that I’m Swedish.

Thomas Houchin – Contiki

Year/Course: Second year Business Management.

Why did you choose to work for Contiki?
 I came across the company after spending a year out in New Zealand & Australia, and found that they provide some really exciting and diverse travel experiences, for travellers aged between 18-35.

Perks of the job? Organising various Contiki Ski Champtionships around uni on a Nintendo Wii . I also loved being able give all students a 10% discount of their holidays with the code PPWOU10.

Fun fact? I eat eggs with Marmite..

Phobia? Cats.

Greatest achievement on a night out? Having Beauden Barrett buy me a drink in Wellington, New Zealand.

Emma Carden – Red Bull

Year/Course: Fourth year Marketing.

Why did you choose to work for Red Bull?
 I wanted to work for a brand that was ambitious, fun-loving and creative and for me Red Bull is all of those. The brand is unique with its marketing and events and I love the excitement that surrounds the brand.

Perks of the job?
 Driving the Red Bull Mini, brightening peoples day and of course the unlimited supply of Red Bull.

Fun fact: I did a skydive in the summer.

Phobia? Fish.

Greatest achievement on a night out? Taking a tramps dog for a walk.

Grace Chau – Uber

Year/Course: Final year Marketing and Management.

Why did you choose to work for Uber? Uber launching in Newcastle is revolutionary. It’s expanding so quickly and I really want to be part of spreading the word to students.

Perks of the job? Free Ubers and giving all students £25 off their first ride with the code GRACE25.

Fun fact: I got arrested in Leazes and spent a day in a cell.

Phobia? Odd numbers.

Greatest achievement on a night out? Always bagging myself a lollipop from the toilet.

Lucy Moore – Aldi

Year/Course: Third year, AgriBusiness Management.

Why did you choose to work for Aldi?
 They are the second best employers in the UK and offer a fantastic graduate scheme which I really want to get on. They offer a £42k starting salary, fully expensed Audi and the opportunity to run you’re own multi-million-pound business.

Perks of the job?
 I’ve been able to meet and network with so many key figures and employees from Aldi who have offered fantastic advice for my future career.

Fun fact: I still have five of my baby teeth.

Phobia? I’m petrified of being buried alive.

Greatest achievement on a night out? Regularly convince people I’m from the cast of Hollyoaks.