Jesmond Metro smells appalling – and nobody knows why

One girl said it smelt like ‘Heinz tomato soup’

Jesmond Metro station “stinks of out of date milk” according to those who travel on the trains to get into the centre of town. 

Those who have passed through Jesmond station have noticed the pungent smell on the platform and in the carriages.

Better safe than sorry

Nexus, who operate the Metro system, told The Tab: “We are aware of this problem and we are investigating it.

“At this stage it looks like an issue with one of the drains in the central area Metro tunnels which run beneath the streets of Newcastle. We will get this problem rectified as quickly as possible.”

Nexus also said that a small number of customers have contacted them to report the issue. The train operator believes its a problem with a drain in the central area tunnel which runs through the city centre from Jesmond.

Beth thinks it smells of tomato sauce

Until the issue is rectified the public will have to endure the unpleasant smell. A second year Urban Planner said “At first it smelt like Heinz tomato soup.

But then it deteriorated. It stinks of out of date milk. It’s been lingering since we arrived back in mid-September.

Despite hopes it may have disappeared the smell has just spread along the tunnel to Haymarket.”

Nexus are working as quickly as possible to solve the smell.