Best societies to join this september

There is a cocktail society

With over 100 different societies available that cater from the sporty and different to the unique and eccentric, Newcastle has a society for your interests. Here’s a list of the best ones to look out for during freshers’ week.

Real Ale and Cider Appreciation

This society does exactly what it says on the tin – appreciate ale and cider. Hoping to create understanding of the culture surrounding it, the society holds regular events at pubs around Newcastle and organises trips to breweries and beer festivals near the city. In addition, the club actively seeks special discounts for the pubs they plan to visit and subsidises members’ travel for past trips.

The club’s president, Conor Aynsley, said: “Last year we were able to provide free trips to Edinburgh, York, Hexham and Durham, as well as trips to local beer festivals and breweries such as Wylam and Tyne Bank. We are also the cheapest society to join at university at just £5.”

The society on their overnight trip to Edinburgh.

Stu-Brew

For those who want to take a step further from just appreciating ales and ciders, Newcastle offers a student brewing society where you can take part in either the business or practical side of growing and running Europe’s only student-run microbrewery. This freshers’, Stu-Brew will be sharing their new recipe, and their beer will be available for tasting at the Men’s Bar, Crow’s Nest and Lonsdale. Whether you prefer helping to make beer, or assisting in the business aspect of the student brewery, there’s a role for everyone.

Adam May, President of Stu-Brew said: “Being a relatively new society, there’s stuff for everyone to get involved with from the business side, such as marketing and sales, to producing the beer and creating new recipes.” There are plans to possibly even launch a beer festival towards the year’s end.

Brewing in the process 

Cocktail Society

Too classy for beers? Here, you’re given the opportunity to make your own cocktails, and like the Ale and Cider Appreciation Society, get a few quid off their drinks in Newcastle’s top bars.

The society also holds regular master-classes that cater to all abilities. Curtis Gladen, President of the Cocktail Society said, “We hope to build on the success of last year and increase our membership and the number of socials. Last year we raised over £500 for cancer research with our charity master-class and hope to do something similar this year.” 

Parachute Club

If you have always wanted to experience the exhilarating feeling of freefalling from an aircraft, Newcastle’s Parachute society is the one for you. Members are given the opportunity to become fully qualified skydivers through various courses at a discounted rate. The club president Sam Parker said: “Skydiving is a really great sport, it’s not just for adrenaline junkies. We have all manor of people joining the club which provides a really great atmosphere at any social events we have or just generally at the drop zone on the weekends.”

The club also partakes in competitions, which plays a huge part in the sport. This year, they hope to compete in the 4-way formation skydiving nationals. Parker said: “This category of competition involves hitting as many points (pre-determined formations) as possible in a certain time”.

Skydiving in action!

Pole Dancing Society

Perfect for those who want to get fit and fight the fresher’s 15.  Forget what you’ve heard – pole dancing isn’t just about girls twisting and twirling and slut-dropping around a pole. The sport is an incredible and toning workout, empowering you in building a strong core. Rachel Britton, the President of Newcastle’s Pole Dancing Society said: “Pole dancing is also beneficial to mental health as it relieves stress and builds self esteem.” For those who think that pole dancing is a “girls’ sport”, think again. Britton clarified: “Some of the most talented professional pole dancers are men and their routines are always impressive to watch. We have had a number of guys join our society in previous years and we hope to have even more this year.”

Performers at the Inter Uni Pole Dance Competition in Warwick

Film-Soc

If you can’t get enough of  watching and critiquing movies, or making your own via SnapChat or Instagram, then this society is for you. Film-Soc gives you the opportunity to script, direct and film a few short movies to be sent for competitions regionally and internationally. Throughout the year, members will be given opportunities to attend workshops or social events, including film-related Pub Quizzes and screenings.

Filming in progress.

Newcastle Student Radio (NSR)

Attention all aspiring radio jocks: Newcastle Student Radio is where you should go if you want to share some amazing tunes and be heard on air.  From marketing and entertainment to the technical aspects that keeps the show on air, NSR has something for everyone.

Fancy being the DJ on the radio console?

20 Minutes Society

20 Minutes Society is exactly like its name – 20 minutes. Every few weeks, an event will be organised and you will be dropped a text detailing the location and event, with 20 minutes to get there. Aside from the local events, the society also hosts an annual mystery holiday where you will only know your destination upon arriving at the airport.

Past locations included Bruges, Barcelona, Cologne and Dublin. Rob Kealey, President of the 20 Minutes Society, said: “We like to get try and encourage as many different people to come together and join in as possible. I remember that I went to my first social on my own, and I feel as though this really is the kind of society that you can do this in! People came on holiday with us this year knowing no-one, and left with some really great friends. “We’ve got big things booked for this year’s holiday, and there are some guaranteed places up for grabs for a lucky few of those who come and sign up with us at the Fresher’s Fair!”

Chapter Chat

If your idea of a great time revolves around books, films and a cuppa, Chapter Chat is where you can meet fellow-minded friends. Regardless if you just want a partner to chew over the latest movie, or debate about deeper subjects on feminism, philosophy or sci-fi, Chapter Chat will hook you up with buddies to chat during their bi-monthly meetings.

Hot tea, some schoko bons and a good book