Graffiti expert Richard Clay to lecture at Newcastle

The BBC presenter is starting this term

Newcastle university has hired Richard Clay as a lecturer. 

The BBC presenter known for his graffiti expertise will start this semester.

Richard Clay is famous for his ‘A Brief History of Graffiti’ documentary

Professor Clay will be the new professor for digital humanities, an area of research that combines the methods from traditional humanities with the tools used in computing.

Previously he was the senior lecturer for History of Art at Birmingham University.

Professor Clay’s documentary, “A brief history of Graffiti”, explored the diversity of Graffiti across world and throughout history, from the Berlin wall to Revolutionary posters.

Professor Clay will be joining Newcastle this month

Along with his most recent documentary, he has published research articles and another documentary telling the story of the French Revolution through art. In 2014 he also advised Tate Britain on its exhibition.

Professor Clay said: “I’m enormously excited to be joining Newcastle University as the new Professor of Digital Humanities. The university’s staff and students are doing really amazing digital work and lots of it involves working with other organisations and communities.

“For me, that shows how committed the institution is to its important role as a civic university, and I’m looking forward to helping them develop this wonderful portfolio of activity in the years to come.”