What are you doing with your life if you don’t shop at R&K’s?

Chocolate, booze and cigs… What more could you want?

Unlike some of its Jesmond competitors, this family-run convenience store fits much more into the criteria of a corner-shop.

Situated at the end of Manor House Road, its location is a major pulling factor for the likes of those who are lazy, hungover and hungry.

Dressed in some pyjamas you’ve never got around to throwing away, a leavers hoodie which should only be worn at home, whatever form of footwear was closest to the door, and the remains of last night’s makeup – you will be gladly accepted inside R&K’s.

Luckily the general public tend to stick to areas closer to Osborne Road for their conveniences so it’s just the kind shopkeeper and his wife who you know will see you. And, thankfully, they don’t seem to be ones to judge.

Too tempting

Legit.

The general impression of R&K’s is that it’s great…if you’re not looking to purchase meat, fruit or veg. Yes – that means this is the place to stock up on your bars of Galaxy and packs of Doritos for pre and post-supper snacks. With the stacks of chocolate bars being only an arms-length away from the counter it makes it almost impossible to leave without clutching a bar of Oreo Dairy Milk or Galaxy Cookie Crumble.

Speaking to local customer Tershie, second-year Geography, she claims that “the lack of a range of normal size chocolate bars means that we’re forced to buy big ones which frankly is promoting obesity”.

SO MUCH CHOCOLATE!

Others find this less of an issue. Miranda, second-year Sociology, claims the highlight of the shop is that “it sells both caviar and £1 big chocolate bars”.

The huge range of sweet packets running the entire length of the counter are similar to a giant pick and mix; so much choice and almost impossible to walk away from.

Also, they have perhaps been cleverly placed so that when you look down to reach into your pocket for some coins, you spot the bag of Skittles and Fruit Pastilles you realise would fill that empty spot just perfectly.

Take your pick

With the sun now causing many of us to forget the library and resort to sun bathing, R&K’s can even stand in as an ice-cream van. Whether you want to grab yourself an (amateur) Magnum, Cornetto or Calippo…you can head over and bag yourself one from the freezer for only 60p.

For the greedier amongst you, the tubs of Häagen-Dazs and Ben & Jerry’s may be more appealing. Despite being a whopping £4.69 (almost Waitrose prices) these are still hugely popular among Jesmond’s top snackers.

Although the general cheap prices attract many a customer when they’re choosing between the handful of corner shops, Amelia, second-year Politics, comments that R&K’s “also sells things for the big dog ballers like £30 champagne!”

Aside from being the prime place for snack shopping, this little store comes in handy due to its seemingly never-ending supply of alcohol and cigarettes. Whether you want to chug back a bottle of wine, have a civilised cider whilst sun bathing or get the Gin for your G&Ts- this is certainly the place to come.

Pres= sorted

James, third-year Business, says “they’re really friendly. Oh and they sell bongs and my favourite kind of Kingsize Rizla”.

R&K’s fanatic Wizz Hewitt lives just a few doors down. She says that the shop is “integrated in our lingo, daily life and walking there is sometimes the most exercise I get in a day… although sometimes I drive”.

However, Waitrose shopper Harriet, second-year English, strongly disagrees with the passion for R&K’s claiming it to be a “jack of all trades, master of none”. She says “you get charged for using your card…and that’s just fucking annoying”.

Loyal customer Izzy Kenney-Herbert, second-year Geography, was even given a free key ring from him for her several daily trips to the shop. She says “it even doubles up as a stress ball when I have withdrawal symptoms from R&K’s!”

Despite not being equipped with the sleek self-service machines of Waitrose, the family of shopkeepers are always happy to chat.

Peter, the owner of R&K’s, despite appearing slightly bored of yet another day of selling chocolate bars to hungover students, never lets you leave without a goodbye.