The Tab guide to the SU presidential elections

Even though you don’t care, you probably should

It’s that time of the year again: candidates are handing out flyers and campaigning to become a sabbatical officer in a desperate attempt to continue living the student life, and stave off unemployment for another year.

The Tab has picked out the best bits of their manifestos so you don’t even have to bother reading them. Now YOU can make an informed decision about who to vote for. Vote now at nusu.co.uk/vote.

Sophie Barclay

Sophie is a very strong contender for the top job. She has leadership experience as a RAG week supervisor, and as President of the Riding Society. Her policies are more coherent and realistic than many of the other candidates.

Key policies: 

• Giving academic credit for extra-curricular activities.
  • Creating an NUSU app to keep students updated.
  • Having a festival to showcase the best students at Newcastle.

She says: “I’m all about making your uni experience as best as it can possibly be.  Enough with the Union being run as a business it’s time to have real input from students.”

Core vote: posh girls who hitchhike.

Matt Brown

Maths President Matt has a slightly bizarre manifesto. He wants the Union to “be a place where all students can show off their talents” – presumably by putting on a monthly talent show. His policy of encouraging societies to hold more non-alcoholic events isn’t popular with The Tab.

Key policies:

• He wants to encourage more joint society events.
  • Societies to put on more non-alcoholic events.
  • More space around university for people to work.

He says: “My hard work and determination makes me an ideal candidate for the role of President.”

Core vote: members of the baking society, and teetotal maths geniuses.

Maria Case

Maria is a solid candidate for President. She understands that students want more help finding jobs after graduation and aims to provide more internships. However, she hasn’t given any information about her past roles, which is a bit shady.

Key policies:

• Increase society funding and increase awareness of societies.
  • More live music events at the Union.
  • More internships for students.

She says: “I believe I am the best person for the President role because I am conscientious, dedicated and determined.”

Core vote: entrepreneurs and hipsters.

Kate Dewey

English student Kate was previously News Editor for our rival, The Courier, but we won’t hold that against her. She has a very good manifesto, and would make a strong President. Her experience as Social Secretary for Social Tennis, should enable her to deal with sports societies.

Key policies:

• Giving every student a subsidy to help with the cost of textbooks.
  • Help international students integrate better with everybody else.

She says: “I’m a third year English Literature student and after having thoroughly enjoyed being a part of our SU for the past three years, I now want to play a role in its development and future.”

Core vote: people who read for fun.

Dom Fearon

Dom has good experience within the Union as a member of NU:DJ and as a member of the Athletic Union. His policies offer something to everyone. He copied Obama’s Hope poster, putting in his face with the phrase ‘Yes Dom Can’.

Key policies:

• More work-space in the library.
  • Get more people to vote in student elections.
  • Get more Newcastle students performing in the Union.

He says: “My experiences have been diverse and make me the ideal candidate to understand student life for the 23,000 students at Newcastle.”

Core vote: Sportsmen, music lovers, and presumably the same demographics as Obama in 2008.

Charlotte Gower

Charlotte has some good policies for helping struggling students, including raising the profile of the Student Support Services. However, she has never been a member of any sports societies, and her manifesto contains no reference to socials.

Key policies:

• Make it easier to visit sabbatical officers.
  • Introduce employability workshops.
  • Night-buses running later.

She says: “I want to create a university experience that is tailored to the students and accessible to all, to ensure that you can get the most out of your union.”

Core vote: thespians and students who work late in the library.

Will Herbert

He Says: “I am really passionate about ensuring that every student makes the most of their University experience and if I was voted President I would work hard to help this happen.”

Key policies:

• More bike racks around campus.
  • Introduce a student-housing fair to help students meet landlords and letting agencies.
  • Introduce a NUSU smartphone app.

Core vote: cyclists and student entrepreneurs.

Adam Latchford

As President of the Comedy Society and Secretary of Poker Society, Adam has some very good experience. He has some novel ideas and would make a good President.

Key policies:

• Cash machine at the library.
  • More study space on campus – permanent pop-up library.
  • Having a sexual health clinic on campus during SHAG week.

Core vote: wannabe-James Bonds and people with STDs.

Max Thienel

Business student Max wants to use his German heritage to maximise efficiency in the Union. He describes himself as the BMW of candidates because of his strong policies and experience as a member of the Student Council and an NUS delegate.

Key policies:

• Introduce a scheme to financially reward societies and clubs that promote inclusion and diversity e.g. of international students and postgrads
  • Offer students officially accredited work experience in sectors across campus e.g. publicity/advertising for Freshers’ Week.
  • Make year long, paid work placements and years abroad an option for ALL Undergrads.

He says: “If I was a kitchen utensil I would be a can opener, because it’s the most useful kitchen tool and offers a full range of culinary uses.”

Core vote: students who have studied abroad and postgraduate partiers.