How to have a non-cringe Freshers’ week

It can be done

Leave the squalor of Ricky Road, forced fancy dress and the questions about A Levels behind, and follow our guide to having a less cringey Freshers’ week now that you’re a mature and sensible second year.

Golf clubs and visors at the ready

Monday

Use your vast knowledge and experience of Ozzy Road to organise a Jesmond bar crawl- think Spy Bar, Osborne’s and Bar Blanc. For those of you who still can’t resist a bit of fancy dress (and healthy competition), Pub Golf is a standard.
Good for: group bonding
Bad for: could get expensive with all those stops
You will bump into: everyone, it’s Jesmond

No more of this

Tuesday

Head to Cosmic Ballroom in Chinatown for a sweaty night of house music at their weekly student-filled Ill Behaviour. Forget the shitty chart music and questionable ‘dentist’s chair’ of Sam Jack’s, you deserve better than that now.

Good for: regular (and decent) DJ sets
Bad for: overcrowding
You will bump into: sweaty people

Throwing those shapes on the dancefloor

Wednesday

Who can resist a bit of 90’s R&B and hiphop? Avoid the grime of Tiger Tiger on a Wednesday and embrace Tup Tup’s upstairs venue, The Cut and their weekly 90’s night, Shake. Bump and grind to all your fave 90’s jams.

Good for: throwback tunes and killer dancemoves
Bad for: embarrassing pictures the next day
You will bump into: that guy who thinks its ok to grind on you

Get trashed by the Tyne

Thursday

Now that you’re older and wiser, the sophistication and glamour of the Quayside beats the cages and sticky dancefloor of Sinners. Go for cocktails and pretend to be classy, even if it’s only for one night.

Good for: drinks that actually taste nice
Bad for: a bit of a trek to get there
You will bump into: people who have more money than you

Feeling the love at World Headquarters

Friday

While the unsuspecting Freshers are shown the sticky carpets and middle aged men of Liquid, join the hipsters at World Headquarters for their Uplifting Groove DJ sets. Dig out your scrunchie and trainers, you’re going to need them to fit in here.

Good for: uninhibited dancing
Bad for: the long queue
You will bump into: plenty of indie kids

Standard Saturday night

Saturday

Nothing beats a house party. You’re no longer in student accommodation and can take full advantage of having a) a house, and b) friends to invite to it. If you’re really feeling classy (and pretentious) call it a house warming.

Good for: you get to choose the music and the people
Bad for: clean up the next day
You will bump into: anyone that you invited

Get on the beers

Sunday

Round off the week with a good old fashioned night at the pub. The Cluny, The Hancock and The Trent are all safe bets if you want somewhere studenty, but also want to get served in under 45 minutes.

Good for: long needed catch ups
Bad for: drunken arguments about stuff you know nothing about
You will bump into: people who like real ales