Anti-terrorist unit take over Newcastle bomb scare

Specialists to handle bomb investigation after two Newcastle freshers arrested

Anti-terrorist specialists have taken over the Newcastle bomb investigation after two bomb scares in the last week.

Two Russian Newcastle University freshers were arrested on Tuesday morning after suspicious items were found in the INTO accommodation building.

Now, North-East counter-terrorist specialists are taking the reins on the case that’s caused widespread panic across Newcastle.

A suspicious package was first discovered at uni halls in the early hours of Tuesday morning when students were swiftly evacuated before the two 18-year-old students were arrested.

But on Thursday, just days after the first incident, there was a fresh scare when police stumbled across left over suspicious materials. The INTO accommodation building was evacuated and cordoned off again before a bomb-disposal team carried out a controlled explosion.

Police have confirmed that one of the students was arrested in London on Tuesday on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act. The other was held under in Northumbria on Wednesday on suspicion of offences under the Explosives Act.

Uni have now reassured students that campus is safe. Dr John Hogan, registrar at the university said: “We would reiterate that our campus is very safe. We have excellent security arrangements in place at the university and that allowed us to deal with the issue very quickly.”