Student rushed to hospital after taking LSD

Student left “dazed and confused” after taking LSD tablet bearing trippy artwork

A student has been rushed to hospital after taking an LSD-style pill bearing a psychedelic image by artist Alex Grey.

Lovaine Halls: part of Northumbria University

On Saturday night the student was found “dazed and confused” outside Northumbria University’s Lovaine flats.  He was taken to the RVI hospital and his condition is not life-threatening.

Six others, inside the flats, were also suffering from the effects of the drug – but they did not need to be taken to hospital and were treated by paramedics on the scene.

Alex Grey: There was a piece of his artwork on the LSD

Police were called to the flats at 12:40 pm on Saturday afternoon after a passerby raised concerns for the wellbeing of a man lying on the floor outside a Londis store.

The police say the drug is a 1cm by 1cm purple tablet with an orange florescent pattern on it. The design was described as the shape of a painting by American artist Alex Grey, who specialises in spiritual and psychedelic art.

Inspector Andy Gimza, from Northumbria Police, said those that took the Class A drug were putting their lives at risk.

He said: “We are carry out inquiries and are working to establish what exactly has happened.  Taking any illegal drug is dangerous and potentially life threatening”.

He went on to say that anyone who has taken it and feels unwell should “seek medical treatment immediately”.

The police are now trying to establish the origins of the tablets, and although it is thought to be LSD, “this is still to be confirmed.”

Anyone who has any information about this is asked to contact the police on 101, quoting log number 678 31/05/14