Toon police introduce ID scanners for Newcastle clubs in violent gang crack down

No ID means no entry for Toon terrors, and police try and clamp down on violence in the city centre

Students in Newcastle may soon be required to have their IDs scanned before they get into a club.

There’s always one of us that forgets our ID on a night out, praying the whole way from the pres to the trebles bars that you won’t get asked. Girls might try their best to look all doe eyed but boys don’t really have a chance.

But now, Newcastle police are installing identity scanners at all clubs and some bars in the city centre to try and stop violent gangs from entering.

And no, we don’t mean you uni societies when you’ve got a bit rowdy after a few trebs.

No Tab, no entry

After the system is installed all entry into clubs and many bars will require driving licence or passport, so you can’t rely on flirting with the bouncer any more.

The scanners will search lists of previous crimes and convictions in the city to see if your face matches. So, if you’ve stolen a kebab or two, be worried.

You won’t be smiling like these little toonies if you forget your driving licence

The scheme has been promoted by commissioner Vera Baird who “wants people to have fun in Newcastle but safely” and she thinks the scanners will help protect students and the people of Newcastle from getting their phones and bags stolen on a night out.

Last year Newcastle was finally given the “late night levy” which allowed us all to drink longer – big thanks to the council for that one.

No more of this

But now police are concerned about the rise of crime and theft, so they’ll be scanning your ID to suss out any of you Phil Mitchell types lurking around Basement at two in the morning with a shifty disposition.